Apply for social housing
Demand for social housing in Redbridge is very high and many more people want social housing than the number of homes available. Being registered does not mean you will be successful in bidding and housing waiting times are lengthy
How to apply for social housing in Redbridge
You can apply to us to join the housing register. Once you are the housing register you will be able to apply (bid) for social housing (PDF 270KB)
You can join the housing register if you:
- are 16 years old or over
- are considered suitable to be a tenant
- are not living in temporary accommodation in Redbridge provided by another council housing department
- have lived in Redbridge for 5 years or more when you make your application to us
- have a housing need or reasonable preference
This does not apply if you are:
- currently a serving member of the armed forces or have left the armed forces in the last 5 years
- applying for sheltered housing only; or if you have been placed by us in temporary accommodation outside of Redbridge
You may not be able to join the housing register if you:
- have no access to public funds
- are a European national who is not currently working
- are a British citizen who has returned to the UK after living abroad for more than 2 years
For full details about how we decide if you can join the Housing Register, view the Housing Allocation Policy (PDF 317KB)
To apply to join the housing waiting list, you must complete an online application form. Before starting your online application, please carefully read our guide to online registration (PDF 270KB)
Once you have submitted your application, you will need to provide documents to confirm your circumstances within 7 days.
Bring your documents to the:
The Redbridge Customer Centre, Ground Floor, Lynton House, 255-259 High Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 1NY
The centre is open Monday to Friday, from 9am to 4pm and 1pm to 4pm on Wednesdays.
Time to process the application
We will aim to complete the assessment of your application within 28 days. You may be contacted to provide further information about your circumstances. If you are successful with your registration, you will then be entitled to bid for a property based on your priority level.
Once you have been accepted onto the housing register, you can bid for any suitable properties that are advertised.
Updating your details on the housing waiting list
Each year you will have to update your application details to remain on the housing waiting list. If you do not, your application to remain on the waiting list will be cancelled.
Change of circumstances
If there is change in your household circumstances please update your housing application, if you don't you could end up waiting longer for an offer on a property.
Bidding and finding properties
Once you are registered, you will then be able to search and apply (bid) for properties. Find out more about the bidding process and where to find properties
Apply for sheltered accommodation
If you are over 55 and are interested in applying for warden controlled housing (Sheltered Housing) please see the sheltered accommodation page for further information and application details.