Find a long term home


You can get support to move into more affordable accommodation outside of Redbridge.

You could move into a longer-term home more quickly than waiting for a council house in Redbridge by:

  • using a housing mobility scheme
  • searching for properties outside of Redbridge.

You will need internet access to use these services.

You can get free computer access at a Redbridge library. Find your nearest library.

You can book a computer, free WiFi and computer training at a Redbridge library.

Use our advice on how to look for private rented accommodation.

This covers how to check:

  • what rent you can afford
  • the benefits you might get to help cover the rent

About housing mobility schemes

You could register onto a housing mobility or relocation scheme.

These schemes offer social housing or affordable private rented homes.

The schemes can help if you are:

  • homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • living in temporary accommodation
  • rough sleeping
  • living in an overcrowded property

The properties will be outside of the borough of Redbridge and usually outside of Southeast England.

The schemes are run by different organisations and not by the Council.

Get help from us if you are in temporary accommodation

The Council’s Move On Team can give you flexible and intensive support if you are:

  • living in temporary accommodation provided by Redbridge
  • looking to move out of London

Email the Move On Team for more information.

Register for social housing mobility schemes

You can register for social housing in other parts of the country through different schemes.

They are a more realistic option to move into social housing than our council housing register (waiting list).

Homefinder UK

Homefinder UK can help you move into social housing in another part of the country.

How to apply to Homefinder UK

The following steps happen when you apply for a new home through Homefinder UK:

  1. You register to join the Homefinder UK scheme
  2. Redbridge Council checks and approves your application
  3. Once approved, you can view properties on the Homefinder UK website
  4. Apply for a property with help from your Homefinder UK Case Manager
  5. View and signup to the property – this is arranged by your Homefinder UK Case Manager

Find out more information or register to join the scheme on the Homefinder UK website.

Call Homefinder UK on 0207 619 9705 if you need help with registering online.

My Social Housing

The My Social Housing scheme can help you move into longer-term social housing outside of London. You can use an app to help you find a home.

My Social Housing is run by Bridge Housing Solutions.

Find out more information or register to join the scheme on the Bridge Housing website.

Register for private rented accommodation schemes

Reloc8 UK relocation scheme

You could find more affordable private rented accommodation with the Reloc8 UK relocation scheme.

Reloc8 UK offers homes outside of London on Assured Shorthold Tenancy contracts.

Reloc8 UK will support you with moving by advising you on:

  • applying for a school
  • your CV and job searches
  • claiming benefits
  • registering for local services

They can also help with beds and white goods such as a fridge and cooker for you to keep.

Register to join the Reloc8 UK scheme.

For more information, contact Reloc8 UK by email or calling the main office on 01952 980 679.

Help2Rent scheme

The Help2Rent scheme connects with landlords with suitable properties.

You could move into more affordable rented housing.

Properties are available from across the UK.

Find out more information and sign up on the Help2Rent website.

Search other affordable housing websites

You could search online for homes with more affordable rent.

Network Homes Housing Association has properties to rent across London and Hertforshire. This includes homes with a lower rent such as intermediate rent. 

HomeHunt is a national website for affordable housing. You can search and apply for properties that are available across the UK. 

DSS Move advertises properties for rent across the country to people claiming Housing Benefit.

Some registered providers or Housing Associations list their private rented properties on websites such as Rightmove and Zoopla: