How to rent private accommodation and other options

If you are looking for private rented accommodation please read our Housing Advice Pack (PDF 136 KB) to help you.

It contains information on:

  • where to look, you should consider looking at as many areas as possible to find an affordable home you can stay in for a long time
  • information on Local Housing Allowance and housing benefit
  • tenancy deposit protection
  • hints and tips about dealing with landlords and letting agents
  • if you are under 35 and need to claim housing benefit renting a room in shared accommodation may be your only affordable option

Accommodation agencies 

View some local accommodation agencies' contact details (PDF 68 KB), this is not a verified list of agents by us and you can use other estate agents and private landlords.

Safety tips:

  • never view flats by yourself, be safe and take a friend
  • do not part with any money unless you are sure you are dealing with the landlord or agent for the property and they are entitled to let the property
  • always get a receipt
  • wherever possible get agreements confirmed in writing

Affordable home ownership

You may be able to get financial help through a government home ownership scheme if you live in England and can’t afford to buy a home.

Homes for Londoners enables anyone looking for an affordable home in London to complete just 1 application form to access a range of affordable shared ownership and equity loan schemes being marketed in London. You can find out more by visiting the London Assembly website or by calling 0845 230 8099.

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback