People who are disabled benefits and support

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance. If appropriate, you will also receive support to help you get a suitable job. Remember, some people might need to claim Universal Credit instead. If you need further advice please contact our Welfare Benefits Team

If you are able to work, it also provides support to help you get a suitable job and be better off.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is a regular payment you may be able to get if you are sick or disabled because of something that happened in connection with your work.



Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are out of work or are working and on a low income. It is assessed and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions(DWP).


Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance has now been replaced by Personal Independence Payment for people aged 16 to 64.  You can make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance only if you are claiming for a child under 16.

Disability Living Allowance for Children

Disability Living Allowance for Children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 and has difficulty walking and/or need more looking after than a child of the same age.


Personal Independence Payment 

If you are aged 16 to 64 years, Personal Independence Payment can help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill health or disability.


Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a regular payment you may be able to get if you are 65 or over and need help caring for yourself.


Disabled Students' Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowance is a grant that you may be able to get if you are in higher education (degree course of above) and have extra course costs because of your disability.


Independent Living Fund

Independent Living Fund payments are no longer available for new claims.
It has been replaced by the Government’s Compensation Recovery Unit.

Tell me about the Compensation Recovery Unit


Severe Disablement Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance is longer available for new claims.
More information on Severe Disablement Allowance.


Self Directed Support

If you need a social care service, you may be able to get payments from the Council to buy the services you choose instead of some, or all, of your usual care services.



Blue Badge

The Blue Badge Scheme (Disabled Persons Parking Scheme) is a national scheme for disabled people with severe mobility problems. A Blue Badge helps you to park closer to your destination, either as a driver or passenger.


Freedom Pass

Freedom Pass can give you free travel on almost all public transport in London if you are older or disabled.


Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant you may be able to get towards the cost of making changes to your home so you can carry on living there.


Access to Work

If your health or disability affects the way you work, Access to Work may be able to give you and your employer advice and help with extra costs for specialist equipment or additional support in the workplace.


Work Choice

If your disability means you need specialised one-to-one support to help you to find or keep a job and that support is not covered through Access to Work, Work Choice may be able to help.


Support with finding work

If you live in Redbridge and are over 16 years old, you may be able to get help and support from Work Redbridge. They provide information and advice to Redbridge residents to support them in finding work, training and volunteering opportunities or to explore self-employment. 

You can also search online for jobs using the Universal Jobmatch tool