Disabled persons Freedom Pass
We offer a Freedom Pass for disabled people which gives free travel on London public transport and local bus services across England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007. Most services are free at all times but National Rail services within the London area are free after 9.30am.
You are eligible to apply for the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass if your sole or principal residence is in our borough and you have any of the statutory disabilities listed in the Transport Act 2000.
You can apply for a disabled person's Freedom Pass if you:
- Are blind or partially sighted
- Are profoundly or severely deaf
- Are without speech
- Have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left you with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
- Do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
- Have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
- Would have a drivers’ licence application refused other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol
If you don't meet the mandatory criteria, you may be able to get a discretionary pass through our Redbridge Local Enhancement scheme(PDF 1MB).
You must not already be at an age where you qualify for the Older Persons Freedom Pass. You can check your eligibility on the Freedom Pass website.
If you are aged 60 or over, are not yet eligible for the Older Persons Freedom Pass, and do not meet any of the automatic criteria, you can apply for the London 60+ Oyster Card.
We do not offer Freedom Passes to carers or travel companions or based on financial hardship.
How to apply
The best way to apply is through our online form. If you have any difficulties with this, you can contact us and we can provide an alternative way to apply.
Before you apply
Please read our guidance notes before applying to ensure you have the correct proof required and fit the eligible criteria for application
To complete the online form, you will need to provide:
- Your details
- Uploaded proof of your eligible disability
- Uploaded proof of identity
- Uploaded proof of address
Apply for the disabled persons Freedom Pass online.
If you have trouble applying through our online form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
When you have applied
We will assess your application and, if you qualify for a pass, your Freedom Pass will be posted directly to you to the address provided on your application form.
Lost, Stolen, Damaged or Faulty passes
London Councils manages our Freedom Passes on behalf of us, please find information about replacing passes on London Councils website.
You will be charged £12 to replace a lost or damaged pass.
Freedom Pass helpline: 0300 330 1433 (local call rate applies, open every day 8am to 8pm)