Universal credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are out of work or are working and on a low income. It is assessed and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions(DWP).

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

These are known as legacy benefits.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment made to you or your partner.

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Reduction. If you require help with your Council Tax, please visit our benefits page.

When will I be affected?

If you need to make a new claim for any of the benefits listed above on or after 20 June 2018 you will be directed to claim Universal Credit. There are exceptions to this:

  • If you live in any of the following postcode areas you will not be able to claim Universal Credit until 25 July 2018; IG8 9, E11 1, E11 2, E11 3, E12 5, E18 1 or E18 2.
  •  If you have 3 or more children you will not be able to claim Universal Credit until at least February 2019 
  • If you live in temporary accommodation provided by the council you will continue to claim Housing Benefit for help towards the rent. 
  • If you live in supported accommodation you will continue to claim Housing Benefit for help towards the rent. Supported accommodation is usually accommodation where there is a charge for care and personal support included in the rent.  
  • You are of State Pension age. You can check your State Pension age

If you are currently in receipt of legacy benefits, and do not need to make a new claim, you will not be migrated to Universal Credit until at least July 2019. Full migration details will be provided as soon as they are released by the Department for Work and Pensions. 

How do I apply?

Universal Credit is digital by default, this means that claims can only be accepted on-line. If you require support to make your online claim, your Work Coach will refer you to the Council for assistance. 

If you can make your claim on-line but do not have access to the internet at home, you can use the facilities available at Job Centre Plus and local libraries. 

For more information please visit Universal Credit

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback