The Memorial was built to recognise and remember the 1,159 fallen during the First World War from Ilford. It was unveiled on the 11 November 1922 by the daughter of Queen Victoria, Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll.
Ilford War Memorial Gardens Action Group (IWMAG) has worked with local residents, businesses, visitors and Vision Redbridge Culture and Leisure to maintain the gardens and ensure our heroes are not forgotten.
Conservation work on the “Men Of Ilford” War Memorial was completed in May 2015 with the help of The War Memorials Trust who provided partial funding of just under £5,000.
Come and enjoy the peace and serenity of these beautiful gardens which were created in the early 1920s from the proceeds of a public appeal to provide a fitting memorial.
The grounds house the Memorial Hall, inside of which are the names of the 1,159 men of Ilford who died in the Great War. It has limited open days during the year. There is no entry fee and the Memorial Hall has good access for those with restricted mobility.
Situated close to Newbury Park tube station, just north of Ilford on the A12, this site is easily accessible by public transport. Please be aware that there is no car parking at the gardens.