Caring for someone benefits and support

Carer’s Allowance

If you look after someone who is disabled, you may qualify for Carer’s Allowance


Self Directed Support

If you need a social care service, you may be able to get payments from the Council to buy the services you choose instead of some, or all, of your usual care services.


Support with finding work

If you live in Redbridge and are over 16 years old, you may be able to get help and support from Work Redbridge. They provide information and advice to Redbridge residents to support them in finding work, training and volunteering opportunities or to explore self-employment. 

You can also search online for jobs using the Universal Jobmatch tool


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are out of work or are working and on a low income. It is assessed and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions(DWP).


Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a scheme that replaced Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013. It is intended to support Council Tax payers pay their Council Tax. It is means-tested


Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help to pay all or part of your rent. You may get this benefit if you are on a low income, whether you are working or not. Remember, most people who need help to pay their rent must now claim Universal Credit

You can only claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You and your partner, if you have one, have reached State Pension age 
  • You receive Pension Credit
  • You are living in what is referred to as 'temporary accommodation' or 'specified accommodation'

There are a few other situations in which you can claim Housing Benefit but the rules are complicated. If you need further advice please contact our Welfare Benefits Team

Tell me about Housing Benefit


Pension Credit

If you have reached Pension Credit age and are on a low income you may be able to get Pension Credit is a regular payment you may be able to get.