You should apply for Housing Benefit if:
- You are living in temporary accommodation provided by Redbridge Housing Department. This could be inside or outside of Redbridge. BUT if you have been placed in Redbridge by another Council, you will need to apply for Housing Benefit from that Council or:
- You are living in supported accommodation - your rent includes a charge for care, support and supervision that is more than minimal and is provided by an English non-metropolitan council, or a housing association, or a not-for-profit voluntary organisation, or a registered charity or:
- You and your partner are of pension age.
You do not qualify for Housing Benefit if:
- You have savings over £16,000 as a couple or a single person
You are a full time student. Unless you are disabled or lone parent or a couple with children where one of you is a student. Please note the non-student partner must make the claim.
- You are not the person who pays the rent
- You are seeking asylum
- You are living in the UK under a sponsorship agreement
- You are a homeowner
If you need to apply for Universal Credit and are the person responsible for paying council tax you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.
When you get to the end of the form you will see a list of documents needed to support your claim. Please upload the documents or if you do not have them to hand please send them as soon as possible to email@example.com