Noise nuisance


  • neighbour noise (loud stereos, radios, televisions and machinery)
  • barking dogs
  • noise from commercial premises such as pubs, restaurants, factories etc
  • car alarms
  • burglar alarms
  • fireworks (in certain circumstances)
  • out of hours noisy building works (where advanced permission has not been granted)
  • noisy DIY out of hours

The Community Protection Team will act on complaints of noise nuisance.

  • Young children playing
  • Crying babies - if you have welfare concerns around a baby or child please consider contacting the police or social services
  • One-off parties/BBQs - unless this is a regular occurrence or the noise is unreasonably excessive we would not look to take enforcement action in the first incidence. We would advise residents when planning a party/event in your property to make neighbours aware prior either verbally or posting them a note
  • Normal living noise - a typical example would be noise of talking/shouting coming through a terraced house.
  • Noise caused by poor sound insulation (if the person/s is behaving responsibly) - this is particularly common in flats and maisonettes. Removal of carpets for wooden flooring can increase noise
  • Emergency roadworks at night carried out by utility companies
  • Washing machines
  • Toilets being flushed
  • Doors being closed/slammed
  • Noisy vehicles or traffic noise (in relation to noisy modified exhausts this must be reported to the police
  • Private CCTV - private CCTV complaints for intrusion of privacy can be reported to the Information Commissioner's Office

Report a noise nuisance

Please call 07976398426 to report noise happening now during the hours below.

  • Fridays from 6pm - 2am
  • Saturdays from 6pm - 2am 
  • Sundays from 3pm to 11pm

Please use our anti-social behaviour form for noise complaints outside of these hours. We aim to respond within seven days to all requests.

  • We cannot deal with noise in the street outside your property, as we have no enforcement powers in the public realm (except where granted through a public spaces protection order).
  • You can report noise in the street to the police online or via 101.

  • Notify us of any past, present and recurring noise issues through our form below
  • It may help if you supply us with a noise diary, recording the dates, times and other details of the nuisance over a two week period.

Report noise

We are not able to deal with noise from aircraft (including helicopters). More information on where to report noise can be found on the Civil Aviation Authority website.

  • There may be cause for complaint if major works are being carried out or if work is carried out during the evening.
  • Some noise from minor DIY work may be unavoidable. Any such work should be brief in nature and should not take place late in the evening. 
  • Ensure that neighbours are given advance warning of any work due to be carried out and let them know how long it will last.

Restricted hours for noisy building works:

  • The Control of Pollution Act 1974 gives Redbridge Community Protection Team special powers to control noise on construction and demolition sites. Working hours can be restricted and conditions enforced on the machinery being used.

Noise control hours in Redbridge:

  • Monday to Friday - before 8am and after 6pm
  • Saturdays - before 8am and after 2pm
  • Sundays and Bank Holidays - No noisy works
  • For noisy works to be carried outside of normal working hours, contractors will be required to demonstrate and justify the need to do so in advance.
  • Full details of the proposed works need to be submitted to the Redbridge Enforcement Team in writing for approval at least 28 days prior to the start of works in accordance with the Control of Pollution Act (COPA) 1974 s.61.

Some emergency works may be needed to be carried out, without prior notification. This may include the use of generators at residential properties due to the loss of electricity and other works by utility companies to restore services.

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback