- All abandoned vehicle reports received by the us will be investigated.
- We will try to contact the last registered keeper and advise them that their vehicle has been left in an abandoned state.
- If after contacting the registered keeper and the vehicle still remains unmoved or the condition unchanged when re-checked, it will be removed and stored for 28 days.
- If the vehicle remains unclaimed after 28 days, it will be destroyed.
Abandoned and untaxed vehicles
Abandoned vehicle guidelines
Abandoning a vehicle can result in a Fixed Penalty Notice or prosecution. The list below will help you determine if a vehicle is potentially abandoned. Please note these are just indicators, each vehicle will be assessed by an authorised Officer on its own merit and meeting one or more of the above criteria does not definitively indicate abandonment:
- has the vehicle been parked without moving a minimum of 4 weeks?
- are there any flat tyres or removed wheels?
- is the windscreen or any of the windows broken?
- is the vehicle mouldy or rusty?
- is there waste inside the vehicle?
Vehicles that are not classed as abandoned
- if your neighbour has gone on holiday or you are in dispute with them
- if parked across your driveway; this is known as an obstruction
Report an abandoned vehicle
We will ask you for details as listed below. If they are not provided we might not be able to carry out an inspection:
- the exact location
- registration number
- make of the vehicle
- brief description of the state of the vehicle
How we deal with abandoned vehicles
Removing a vehicle from private land
- If a vehicle that is reported to us is on Private Land, an Officer will attend to assess if the vehicle meets the criteria.
- If the vehicle meets the criteria then a legal 15 days notice will be affixed to the vehicle in question. The purpose of this notice is to give the land owner (not the vehicle owner) 15 days in which to contact us and resolve this matter.
- if after 15 days the vehicle remains unchanged we will arrange for it removal.
- Every vehicle registered in the United Kingdom must be taxed if used or kept on a public road.
- If the vehicle is kept off-road it must either be taxed or have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).
- If not it could be clamped or removed without notice by either us or the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Reclaiming your vehicle
We can only discuss a vehicle with the registered owner. If we don't have your vehicle we will advise you to contact the police. Before claiming your vehicle you should contact us with these details:
- car registration.
- where it was parked when we claimed it.
- proof of ownership such as the log book or a receipt.
If you plan to drive the vehicle away it has to be road legal which means that you must have the following:
- valid MOT certificate
- valid car insurance
- valid car tax
- driver must have a full and valid driving licence
If you do not have any of the above then you will need to contact us for advice on 020 8554 5000.
- There will be a charge to reclaim your vehicle and the amount will depend on the circumstances.
- The charge increases on a daily basis. You should try to reclaim the vehicle as soon as you can.
- You can usually collect it within 24 hours (excluding weekends) of contacting us.
- You will need to take the relevant documentation and payment with you for collection.
Can you tell me where my vehicle is?
How to Recover Your Vehicle
- If your vehicle was removed from the public highway because it was without valid road tax, you will have to arrange payment for the release of your vehicle. Please telephone 020 8803 0834 between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday. The fees for this are as follows:
Within 24 hours: £100 release fee + £160 Surety or show confirmation or a receipt to prove you’ve paid your vehicle tax.
After 24 hours: £200 release fee + £160 Surety or show confirmation or a receipt to prove you’ve paid your vehicle tax.
Vehicle storage costs £21 per day.
- If your vehicle was removed because it was presented in an abandoned state, you will have to arrange payment for the release of your vehicle. Please telephone 020 8803 0834 between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday. The fees for this are as follows:
£200 release fee, then £40 per day from the morning opening of the second day in storage.
Payment must be made with a debit/credit card only.
Proof of identity is required with the following documents:
- Drivers License or Valid Passport.
V5 Registration Document.
- ELV Solutions Ltd
- Tel: 020 8803 0834