Complaints about our services

Redbridge Council defines a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction with our services. If you are unhappy with our services in any way, please tell us. We want to know so we can try to put things right.

Before you make a complaint

If you would like an issue dealt with quickly and easily, please use our 'report it' form below to let us know. There are times when an issue or a concern is not something we are able to consider as a complaint. For example reporting a missed collection for rubbish, recycling or garden waste or if you want to let us know that a street light is not working.  These will be registered as a service request and dealt with quickly. If the reported matters have not been dealt with within the time we said it would, then this may become a complaint.

Complaints privacy notice

Report it

Complaints not covered by the Corporate Complaints Procedure

  • school admissions appeals
  • housing benefit appeals
  • council tax and valuation band appeals
  • planning application appeals
  • parking tickets
  • complaints about Councillors
  • complaints relating to Council policy or the Council’s implementation of Government policy
  • employment and other personnel issues
  • insurance claims
  • issues that are subject to court, tribunal or legal proceedings

To make a complaint against Adult Care, Health and Wellbeing you must be currently receiving a service,  previously have received a service  or must have been declined a service with us.

If you are unhappy about our service we would like you to tell us about it, for example:

  • staff conduct
  • funding decisions
  • a social worker
  • a placement or
  • a care assessment

Most concerns can be resolved without making a formal complaint by contacting the member of staff who provides the service and they will try to find a solution by the end of the next working day.

If the matter is not resolved you can request the issue to be dealt with as a formal complaint by completing an  Adult Complaint form

Are you concerned about the safety of an adult?

If you are concerned about an adult please email to report your concerns.

The Adult Social Services Complaints Manager is only responsible for Adult Social Services and Public Health.

Complaints about Children's Services are dealt with separately by the Children's Services Complaints Team. If you are unhappy about the service we would like you to tell us about it. For example:

  • a decision that was made
  • how staff have treated you or behaved
  • our assessment, care management or review processes

Complete a Children Services complaint form


If you are a child or young person and need help to make your complaint, please contact the Children’s Service Complaints Team on 020 8708 5174, who will be happy to help you.

Are you concerned about a child?

If you have a concern about a child or family living in Redbridge, please contact our Child Protection and Safeguarding Team on:

  • 020 8708 3885 from 9am to 5pm
  • 0208 708 5897 after 5pm

School complaints

All complaints about schools should be made directly to the school. 

Informal stage

Wherever possible, complaints will be resolved at the earliest opportunity without escalating to the formal procedure. In most cases, we will discuss the complaint with you to see if we can resolve the issue quickly without having to go through the formal complaint process. We are not obliged to consider complaints about a matter that occurred over 12 months ago.

The Corporate Complaints Procedure has 2 stages.

Stage 1

Your complaint will be handled by the service area you are complaining about. You will receive a reply within 10 working days of us receiving your complaint.

If you are not happy with the response, you can ask for it to be escalated to stage 2.

Stage 2

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive at stage 1, you should tell us why. The Chief Officer of the service area you are complaining about will consider your complaint and will appoint a senior officer to carry out a formal investigation.

The Chief Officer will write to tell you the outcome of the investigation within 20 working days of the date the investigation started.

We will keep you informed if the investigation will take longer or if we need to handle it in a different way.

Complete a General complaint form

What if I am still not satisfied?

Following a stage 2 investigation if you remain dissatisfied with our response, you can make a complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. The Local Government Ombudsman is an independent body which investigates complaints about councils.

If your complaint is about Redbridge Council as your landlord, you can contact the Housing Ombudsman Service. For more information please visit the Housing Ombudsman website.

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback