Summer isn’t complete without a picnic. Go for an eco-friendly picnic this summer
While alfresco dining is brilliant fun for the family, it can also produce a lot of waste. From shopbought sandwiches to single-use cutlery, many essentials purchased for picnics get thrown in the bin after use.
Make your picnic waste free as much as possible this summer with these top tips:
- Ditch single-use plastic items and bring reusable plates, cutlery, and glasses
- Use cloth napkins that can be taken home, washed and reused, unlike paper napkins
- Rather than buying packaged foods, make your picnic from scratch with homemade sandwiches, tasty pasta salads, or even have a go at making your own coleslaw. It’s a brilliant way to save money and reduce waste
- Don’t bin your leftovers. Take them home and enjoy a tasty treat the next day
- If you still have some waste or litter, remember to take it home with you and recycle whatever you can
Not sure what you can and can’t recycle? Check our handy online guide on the Redbridge Council website.
Find out more on how to reduce your waste by visiting the Our Street pages on the Redbridge Council website.