Occasional sales licences

An occasional sale is defined as a group of 5 or more buyers or sellers operating from a site that is not normally licenced for other trading purposes.  

Car boot sales will usually fall within this definition. Sales held inside buildings or on a highway are excluded from the definition and do not have to be licensed as occasional sales.

Apply for a licence

Please read our guidance for occasional sales application (PDF 42KB).  We aim to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation at all times. To see how we handle personal information, please ensure that you have read our Privacy Notice.  

By post

The fee for an occasional sale licence (PDF 232KB)  depends on the number of stalls, vehicles or pitches. The fee should be made payable to the London Borough of Redbridge.

Fire risk assessment

The Fire Safety Order (Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005) applies to events and car boot sales.

As part of the planning and ongoing management of events, including car boot sales, a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment should be carried out by a competent fire risk assessor. Where licences are in force, these assessments need to be recorded. Part of this assessment must include the means to stop the spread of fire, water supplies, emergency services access and the safe evacuation of the site if it becomes necessary.

Guidance notes for issuing to organisers and other members of the public are provided.


Please contact us in the first instance. If an application for a licence is refused the failed applicant can appeal. Appeals are made to the local Magistrates’ Court.


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you. If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre 

Anyone who is affected by noise or other nuisance associated with an occasional sale should contact our Enforcement Team on 020 8708 5000.  

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback