Expecting and bringing up children benefits and support

You will find additional information about services, support and information for families with children aged 0 - 19 (up to 25 for adults with SEND) in Redbridge using our Family Services Directory.


Expecting or adopting a child

Statutory Maternity Pay

Statutory Maternity Payment is paid by your employer so that you can take time off work before and after your baby is born.


Maternity Allowance

If you take time off work to have a baby but do not qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay from your employer, you may be entitled to Maternity Allowance.


Ordinary Statutory Paternity Pay

Ordinary Statutory Paternity Pay may be paid for up to two weeks by your employer to enable you to take time off work after your partner has had a baby or adopted a child.


Statutory Adoption Pay

If you take time off work when you adopt a child, you may be entitled to Statutory Adoption Pay which is paid by your employer.


Sure Start Maternity Grant

If you are receiving certain benefits or Tax Credits, you may be entitled to a one-off payment of Sure Start Maternity Grant to help with the cost of baby things.


Healthy Start

If you are getting certain benefits or Tax Credits, are pregnant or have any children under four years, you may be entitled to free milk, fruit, vegetables, infant formula and vitamins. 


Health costs

While you are pregnant and for the following 12 months, you can get free dental care and prescriptions.


Bringing up children

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is a regular payment that you can normally get if you bring up any children:


Widowed Parent’s Allowance

Widowed Parent's Allowance is a regular payment you may be able to get in addition to Child Benefit if you are bringing up children and your husband, wife or civil partner has died.


Guardian’s Allowance

If you are bringing up any children whose parent(s) have died you may be entitled to Guardian's Allowance in addition to Child Benefit


Tax credits

You can no longer make a new claim for Tax Credits- instead you will be signposted to Universal Credit

The information below is for those people who have an existing Tax Credit claim

If your income is not above a certain amount and you are:

  • bringing up children, you may be able to get Child Tax Credit
  • working, you may be able to get Working Tax Credit 
  • bringing up children and working, you may be able to get both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.



16-19 bursaries

If your son or daughter is aged between 16 and 19 and think they might struggle with the costs for full-time education or training they may be able to get a bursary.


Care to Learn

Care to Learn is a scheme that could help you with the cost of child care if you are learning and are aged under 20.


Parents' Learning Allowance

For full-time students with children.


Free school meals

Free school meals are available for all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 at a primary school in Redbridge. From Year 3, if you receive certain benefits, your child may be able to continue to receive free school meals.


Health costs 

Children can get free dental care, sight tests and prescriptions, as well as help with the cost of glasses.