Smarter Travel Team
The Smarter Travel Team support schools with any travel plan initiatives and schools can currently apply for small grants from the team to help them implement any measures that will help to promote sustainable travel.
Contact the Smarter Travel Team if you have any questions or if you want to find out more about the school travel plans.
School travel plans & accreditation
The school travel plan is reviewed annually by the smarter travel team using the Transport for London ‘STARS’ system. In order to support schools in reviewing their travel plans, the Smarter Travel Team provide 1-to-1 support and workshops.
By engaging in the school travel plans, you will see benefits such as:
- reduced number of car trips made to the school at the beginning and end of the school day
- encouraging more walking and cycling to school
- encouraging more use of public transport
- improving the health of the school community by promoting walking
- creating opportunities for pupils to become independent travellers
- promoting the opportunity for exercise by encouraging walking to school
- improving safety on the school journey for those walking and cycling
- pupil participation through schemes such as Youth Travel Ambassadors or Junior Travel Ambassadors
To see some examples of the activities run as part of a school travel plan, visit the STARS website
For more information on cycling, visit our cycling webpages