Smarter Travel Team
The Smarter Travel Team support schools with any travel plan initiatives and schools can currently apply for small grants from the team to help them implement any measures that will help to promote sustainable travel.
Contact the Smarter Travel Team if you have any questions or if you want to find out more about the school travel plans.
School travel plans & accreditation
The school travel plan is reviewed annually by the smarter travel team using the Transport for London ‘STARS’ system. In order to support schools in reviewing their travel plans, the Smarter Travel Team provide 1-to-1 support and workshops.
By engaging in the school travel plans, you will see benefits such as:
- reduced number of car trips made to the school at the beginning and end of the school day
- encouraging more walking and cycling to school
- encouraging more use of public transport
- improving the health of the school community by promoting walking
- creating opportunities for pupils to become independent travellers
- promoting the opportunity for exercise by encouraging walking to school
- improving safety on the school journey for those walking and cycling
- pupil participation through schemes such as Youth Travel Ambassadors or Junior Travel Ambassadors
To see some examples of the activities run as part of a school travel plan, visit the STARS website
Season 2 Results
Season 2 results are now in for both the School and Community leader boards. Congratulations to all the teams for keeping active in Redbridge.
Season 3 is now underway so keep spreading the word to get more people out walking and cycling in Redbridge using the Street Tag app.
Community leader board results:
- 1st Place: Ladies of the old school. Winner with 3,527,790 points
- 2nd Place: Straight Path. 3,526,510 points
- 3rd Place: Team Punter. 2,196,555 points
School leader board results:
- 1st Place: Al Noor VA Primary School. Winner with 7,435,900 points.
- 2nd Place: Glade Primary School. 5,837,835 points.
- 3rd Place: Aldborough Primary School. 1,341,145 points.
What is Street Tag?
Vision RCL have been working in partnership with Redbridge Council to launch this fun, family friendly smartphone based app that rewards families and individuals for walking, running, and cycling around the borough. Street Tag turns our streets and open spaces into a giant virtual playground and encourages people to get active outdoors by challenging them to collect as many virtual tags, dotted around the borough, as they can. Watch this YouTube video for more information.
At this time Street Tag allows players to contribute to their teams achievements and remain active and maintain social distanced from others, during the Covid-19 restrictions.
Benefits of Using Street Tag
“If physical activity were a drug, we would refer to it as a miracle cure, due to a great many illnesses it can prevent and help treat.”- UK Chief Medical Officers
Through Street Tag app residents can:
- Win fantastic prizes to enhance their physical fitness and healthy lifestyle
- Have opportunity to become healthier and bond with family and friends whilst staying committed to physical fitness
- Benefit from the opportunity to connect with other members of the community that are using the Street Tag App
- Have fun and catch the thrill of physical fitness of competing with others, which you might not get without the app
- Get motivated and engage in physical activity, rediscover nature and get energetic
- Enhance your mental and physical wellbeing
How does Street Tag work?
It’s easy to join and get started, all you need to do is:
- Install the ‘Street Tag’ app. on your smartphone
- Create your community/ family team and join the local leader board
- Earn Street Tag points by getting active both indoors and outdoors. To collect points you need be exploring your local area and the rest of the borough by foot, bicycle, or push scooter and discover the ‘virtual tags’ scattered around the streets, parks and open spaces. The app also counts your steps and convert them to points.
- See how you are doing on the Leaderboard, do well and you could earn rewards and win prizes.
Get ready to push the boundaries and start your journey to a healthy lifestyle with Redbridge Council and Street Tag.
Download the FREE app now on ios and android (just search for Street Tag)
Need assistance with Street Tag App? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or send a support ticket inside the app settings.
For more information on cycling, visit our cycling webpages