Traffic calming

Traffic flow in Redbridge

Our aim is to keep traffic flowing as smoothly as possible and to keep it away from residential areas so we try to keep traffic to major roads. If you are concerned about levels of traffic down your road and wish to make a traffic flow request you will need to contact We will then investigate your request and give it a priority rating. Traffic flow requests are often of a lower priority than traffic calming. We are not responsible for dual carriageways.


Cavendish Avenue & Fairlawn Drive: Motor Vehicle Prohibition

Motor vehicles are currently banned from driving through part of Cavendish Avenue and Fairlawn Drive from 7.30am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday. This is to help prevent rat-running through residential roads during busy peak traffic periods. Eligible local residents and businesses can apply to the Council for an exemption from this ban by completing the following application form.

Apply for an exemption

Traffic calming down your road

If you believe that vehicles are speeding down your road then you can contact us to see if there is anything that we can do to prevent it. After you have contacted us, we will then decide whether a traffic count is needed. A traffic count is where we put an automatic traffic counter in the road to measure 24 hour traffic flows and speeds. We will also carry out an investigation of accidents. From this information we will determine what the priority is for that road. The implementation of a traffic calming measure for your road will be subject to priority and funding.

Types of traffic calming measures

There are many types of traffic calming measures in Redbridge. Here is a selection of some of these:

Speed humps also known as sleeping policeman

A speed hump is usually a raised area of the road which is designed to reduce the average speed along the length of the road.

Raised junctions

A raised junction is usually a raised area. It is designed to slow traffic down past the junction, as accidents often happen at junctions.

Speed cushions

A speed cushion is a raised area in the road that consists of a series of pads across the road. They serve the same purpose as a speed hump. However, they are easier for the emergency services and buses to use. 

Traffic calming around schools

Over the past 10 years we have improved road safety at our primary schools in Redbridge by putting 20mph zones around them. These schemes are funded by Transport for London.

Pedestrian crossings

  • pelican crossing 
  • puffin crossing
  • toucan 
  • zebra crossing (not controlled by traffic lights)

We usually put pedestrian crossings where there is a high amount of pedestrian accidents or high pedestrian flows. You may contact us to find out more or to request an investigation. 


Traffic signals

Traffic signals are installed and maintained by Transport for London (TfL). If you would like further information regarding traffic signals, such as their phasing, or whether they are working correctly, then please contact You can also contact us if you feel that traffic lights would be beneficial to a particular road. 

If you find that a traffic light is damaged, broken or not working then you can report it directly to TfL fault control on 0845 305 1234 (24 hours)


Speed cameras

Speed cameras are run and installed by Transport for London (TfL). If you have been caught by a speed camera then you have to contact Transport for London.

Safety enforcement cameras - Transport for London


Can I have a speed camera in my road?

We monitor the roads in Redbridge and have put speed cameras in place where necessary. If you feel you need a speed camera down a road then you should contact us first. TfL will decide and install the camera. We can put a business case for the speed camera on your behalf, as long as your request meets certain criteria; where four people are either killed or seriously injured in a location in the past three years. There are also further criteria related to speed. Please contact us if you would like to discuss your requirements further.


Do you consult with residents when you put in these traffic schemes?

We usually consult with the people who are directly affected by the traffic scheme and we usually contact them first via letter.


Contact us