Public rights of way

A public right of way is a piece of land over which the public have a right to pass.  They can be carriageways, footpaths, bridleways, byways (open to all traffic), restricted byways and cycle routes. View our public rights of way plan.

The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, section 60, placed a duty on all local Highway Authorities to prepare a Rights of Way Improvement Plan (RoWIP).

Redbridge Council have produced a RoWIP to identify how to improve public rights of ways for walkers, cyclists, equestrians and people with mobility issues.  The RoWIP sets out how we intend to improve our public rights of way, with particular attention given to public footpaths, bridleways and byways.

The plan has given Redbridge the opportunity to reassess the public rights of way network and its relevance to its users.  It aims to make more places accessible to more people, and remove some of the barriers preventing people from enjoying the outdoors.

Section 15A(1) of the commons Act 2006 allows landowners to deposit a statement and map to protect their land from registration as a town or village green, whilst still allowing access to it.

Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 enables landowners to protect their land from gaining public rights of way through use by the public. The land owner can deposit statements, maps and lodge declarations with the council showing the extent of their land and the rights of way they admit over it.

Landowners or their representatives must use form CA16 for either a section 15A(1) or 31(6) application. Before completing your form, please read the information and guidance provided on the Defra website:

The Growth and Infrastructure Act 2013 allows the council to charge a reasonable fee for processing each application to cover the council's costs of logging the application, making it available on our website and paper register, and placing notices on site. All fees are VAT exempt.

  • For a highways statement or highways declaration deposited under s31(6) of the Highways Act 1980: £250
  • For a landowner statement under s15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006: £250

The council encourages landowners to deposit the documents to protect their interest and to provide greater certainty for users. As these deposits are public documents the status of the land is clear to all. The deposit ensures:

  • that informal use of tracks can continue without a public right of way being formally registered
  • all new tracks will be protected from the outset
  • the land is protected from the date of the deposit up to a period of 20 years at which time it may be renewed by a new deposit. Any deposits made before 2013 only have a lifetime of ten years

The council are required to record  deposits received from October 2013 as an online and paper register. The paper register can be inspected free of charge at:

Civic Pride
Highways Engineering
Lynton House
255/259 High Road, Ilford
Essex, IG1 1NY
Civic Pride, Highways and Transportation at Lynton House

Please give 48 hours notice.

Register of statutory Declarations under section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006 or section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980

Reference No. Land Description OS Grid Reference Post Code Depositor/Landowner Deposit Date Highway Statement Deposit Date Highway Declaration Expiry Date Commons Statement Deposit Date Link to Submitted Deposit Remarks

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback