Redbridge has a wealth of open spaces, from local parks to country parks such as Hainault Forest. All types of green spaces are important for wildlife and can contain a variety of habitats including woodland, hedgerows, grassland, streams, lakes and ponds. Nature conservation ensures that these areas are protected, preserved and carefully managed.
This helps to not only protect the ecology of the Borough but also gives local residents beautiful green areas which they can enjoy.
Nature Conservation team
We are custodians of nature in the Borough, protecting and improving spaces for wildlife. We do this by:
- managing opens spaces for wildlife
- organising public events and school trips
- giving ecological advice to the Council
- projects that raise awareness, create or enhance habitat and engage the public
Redbridge Biodiversity Action Plan
Keeping the green spaces of Redbridge up and running is hard work, and could not be done without the help of our volunteers. From mulching young trees to cleaning ponds, there are loads of things to get stuck into. We usually meet every Tuesday and Thursday, and we are always looking for new recruits.
- gain valuable practical experience in conservation
- keep yourself fit and healthy
- help as often or as little as you like - we hold volunteer days on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the year
- work in a safe environment - tools, safety equipment and training are all provided
- thrive in the laid back atmosphere - everyone works at their own pace and there are plenty of breaks
- spot local wildlife and learn more about ecology
All volunteering events can also be found in the Do More Guide.
Have a question about volunteering? Read our most common volunteering questions answered (PDF 669KB)
Whether you want to learn about wildlife, get your hands dirty or have a day out with the kids, there are loads of events you can get involved with around Redbridge.
Events are fun, good value (often free) and provide something different from the usual day out. With a range of activities planned for all ages and abilities, there's sure to be something to suit everyone.
Our events are also listed in the Do More Guide.
We send out a monthly newsletter detailing our upcoming workdays and events
School trips - the outdoor classroom
Are you doing enough to get your students outdoors? Did you know that outdoor learning can help to motivate and stimulate young minds? There is a place in Redbridge which can help you to teach students in a safe outdoor environment!