Apply for a property licence

To find out more about the information we collect from you and how we use it, please review the privacy notice

To rent out properties in Redbridge you may need a licence. The licence you need will depend on the type, size and number of people living in the property. There are three different types of licences:

  • All Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) in Redbridge need to be licensed either under either the mandatory or additional scheme.
  • All non HMO's within the designation of scheme 1 detailed in the map and marked as scheme 1 need a selective licence
  • From October 1st 2018 all non HMO's within the designation of scheme 2 detailed in the map and marked as scheme 2 will need a selective licence

You must licence each property you rent out.  If you do not have a valid licence you may be prosecuted and fined for each unlicensed property.

Public notice Official Designation For Selective Licensing Scheme 2 (PDF 1MB)

Selective licence (Applies to specific areas in the borough)

Selective licensing applies to all rented properties that are not HMO's. In Redbridge there are two schemes.

Scheme 1

Selective licensing is in force in 16% of the borough since 2017.  You should check the interactive map to see if you fall into this scheme.

The cost of a licence is £500 and will last until the end of the scheme in 2022.

Scheme 2

From October 2018 selective licensing will apply to a further 62% of the borough. You should check the interactive map to see if you fall into this scheme. The full fee is £500 which will last until the scheme ends in 2023. We are offering a 50% early bird discount if you make you application before 1st January 2019. We are taking applications now.


Apply for a Selective Licence


Mandatory licence (Applies to all of Redbridge)

If your property is:

  • rented to 5 or more people who are unrelated or form more than 1 household
  • is 3 storeys or higher
  • tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities

Your property is a defined as a large HMO and you will need to apply for a mandatory licence.

Mandatory licences are valid for 5 years 

The fee matrix below helps you to calculate the cost of your mandatory licence based on the number of households and the number of storeys in your property. 

Households 3 to 4 storeys 5 storeys and above
Up to 5 households £800 £1000
6 to 10 households £1000 £1200
11 to 15 households £1100 £1300
16 to 19 households £1300 £1500
20 households and above £1800 £2000

If you are a member of a landlord accreditation scheme you will be eligible for a 10% discount for each application you submit. 


Apply for Mandatory Licence


Additional licence (Applies to all of Redbridge)

If your property is:

  • where there are 3 or more people living there who form 2 or more households
  • 1 to 2 storeys high
  • tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities

Your property is a defined as a small HMO and you will need to apply for an additional licence.

Additional licences are valid until 12 April 2022 which is the end of 5 year scheme.

Additional licences have a fixed fee of £500.


Apply for an Additional Licence


Come and join the Redbridge landlord forum where you can learn from some of our best landlords

The legal definition of Household is members of the same family living together as:

  • couples married to each other or living together as husband and wife (or in an equivalent relationship in the case of persons of the same sex)
  • relatives living together, including parents, grandparents, children (and step-children), grandchildren, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces or cousins
  • half-relatives who are treated as full relatives.
  • a foster child living with his foster parent is treated as living in the same household as his foster parent


Your rented property is exempt from mandatory licensing if the building is:

 used as a care home or hostel

Controlled or managed by:

  • Redbridge council
  • not for profit registered provider of social housing
  • a body which is registered as a social landlord under Part 1 of the Housing Act 1996 (c. 52),
  • police and crime commissioner
  • Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime
  • fire and rescue authority
  • National Health Service

 Is a building is occupied by:

  • freeholder or long leaseholder
  • resident landlord with up to two tenants
  • religious communities
  • students

Temporary Exemptions from Licensing 

An owner or manager of a property may apply to the council for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN). These are applicable when the property is required to be licensed, but the person who is responsible for the property no longer wishes for it to be used as private rented accommodation. 

If a TEN is granted the property is exempt from licensing and therefore is no longer in liable for enforcement action from Redbridge Council. 

Redbridge council may only grant a TEN if it satisfied that the applicant is or will shortly be, taking steps to ensure the property ceases to be subject to licensing.  For example, the owner or manager of the property is able to provide notification in writing from a solicitor that possession proceedings have initiated, and evidence to show that they are likely to be successful and being taken legally and correctly.

A TEN can only be granted for a maximum period of three months, but in exceptional circumstances, the council may issue a second TEN to last a further three months following the expiry of the original.  No more than two consecutive TEN's may be granted in succession for a given property. 


Mandatory licence application you will need to upload:

  • Landlords Annual Gas Safety Certificate
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Fire Detection System Installation and Commissioning Certificate

Additional and Selective licence, you will need to give us your dates and serial numbers for:

  • Landlords Annual Gas Safety Certificate
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report
  • Energy Performance Certificate

Fire Risk Assessments: 

Landlords and/or managing agents of premises that are not occupied as single private dwellings, have a duty to make a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment and to install fire precaution measures as are identified by the assessment to ensure that the premises are safe for occupiers and visitors. 

More detailed guidance can be found in the HM Government guidance Fire Safety Risk Assessment - Sleeping Accommodation (PDF 2.82MB)


Licence conditions

When you are granted your licence there are conditions that you will need to meet to keep the licences valid. The conditions will be attached to your licence when you complete your online application. We can ask to see evidence you meet these conditions at any time during the length of your licence period.


Licence renewals

You should renew your licence if it is about to expire and you still wish to privately rent the property in the same way it was being rented before. We recommend you renew your licence 3 month before your current licence expires. 

Similarly, you should also inform us if your property is no longer licensable. 


Licensing enquiries:
020 8708 4845 - Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm

Property Licensing Team
10th Floor rear
Lynton House
255-259 High Road,
Ilford, IG1 1NY


Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback