Transfers and exchanges for social housing tenants

If you are a Redbridge council tenant, there are various ways you can move home:

You have the right to ask for a transfer to another property if your circumstances have changed. All transfer applications will be considered. If you are successful you will be able to bid for a different property using Choice Based Lettings.

As the demand for housing is far higher than the number of properties we have available you may have a considerable wait.  Once you are allocated a property, the date you move will depend on when the property is ready. If you wish to apply for a transfer contact the Housing Advice Centre.

Is your home too big for you?  Are you subject to the Spare Room Subsidy?  Would you like to move closer to family or friends?  Is the thought of moving overwhelming?  If so the Under-Occupation scheme could be right for you.  Features include:

  • we will give £250 for every bedroom that you give up
  • a personal rehousing service from a specialist Housing Options Officer to help you throughout the process
  • arrangement and reimbursement of your removal costs
  • arrangement and payment of disconnection and reconnection of white goods (cooker, washing machine etc.) and telephone
  • reimbursement of post redirection for three months

For more information contact the Under Occupation team

If you're a council tenant and you want to swap with another council tenant or housing association tenant, you can if your landlord agrees to the exchange.  

An exchange is a really good way for people to find another property, but please be certain the property is right for you - check it out carefully.  You will also be swapping your tenancy, so please check any differences carefully.  Housing association tenancies can be different to your council tenancy.

You can find someone to swap with any way you want to - from a postcard in a newsagents to looking at various websites. We've joined House Exchange, which makes it free for you to use. Thousands of tenants in the UK have registered for this.  You can also use East London Lettings Company

If you've found someone to swap with, contact us to get permission to go ahead 

  • we have a court order against you
  • possession proceedings have begun
  • the property is larger than you need
  • the property is too small for your needs and would mean overcrowding or would break the normal letting criteria.
  • the property has been let as a service tenancy
  • the property has been adapted for a person with a physical disability and if the exchange were to go ahead, such a person would no longer live in the property.
  • if you're in sheltered housing and the person you want to swap with doesn't need those services


Homefinder UK is a scheme that helps tenants and households that we have placed in in temporary accommodation and those we have accepted a homelessness duty to.

We have joined the scheme in order to give our tenants greater choice and more opportunity to find homes the right size, in the right location and at the right rent.

  • Homefinder offers properties across the UK and are working to make as many properties available as possible; view the properties on Homefinder 
  • if you wish to move to a particular area but cannot see any properties that meet your requirements you can contact Homefinder
  • if you register on the Homefinder website, you will also be able to see all of their mutual exchange opportunities through the House Exchange service; House Exchange are working in partnership with Homefinder and our tenants can register on this scheme free of charge.

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London's housing mobility scheme that allows tenants of London boroughs or Housing Associations to move outside their existing borough to a different part of London. It is run by the Greater London Authority and the majority of London boroughs and Housing Associations are participating.

Priority is given to:

  • under occupiers (if you are a secure tenant and live in a property that is too large for you)
  • need to move to be a carer for someone
  • need to move to be closer to your workplace
  • for more information please visit the Housing Moves website

Seaside and Country Homes offers people who are aged 60 and over and living in council or housing association housing in Greater London, the opportunity to move to seaside and countryside locations. We can also help households to find properties in rural areas inland.

To find out more and to apply visit the Seaside and Country Homes website.

Redbridge Freespace scheme is an option aimed at home owners aged 60 and older who wish to move to smaller accommodation.

In exchange for letting your home to us we offer:

  • a free personalised assessment to ensure the scheme meets your needs
  • a dedicated officer to provide assistance to help you find alternative accommodation
  • support with the logistics of moving
  • worry free letting using our expertise to manage your property.
  • to discuss any of the schemes contact the Under Occupation team


Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback