Repairs and improvements

Housing repairs

From 1 April, we have been working with Mears to deliver your repairs service. 

The three key components of the new contract are:

  • responsive repairs
  • gas servicing and repairs
  • re-servicing of void properties

This will result in a “cost per property” model and a schedule of rates for communal repairs so we can organise repairs and ensure billing of leaseholders is clearer.  Whilst there should be no visible difference from a customer’s perspective, some new initiatives include:

  • More customer notifications
  • More automated customer service satisfaction surveys
  • The out of hours call outs will be maintained under the new contract and will not be outsourced

The repairs handbook

The repairs handbook provides information on which repairs we will carry out for you, as a council tenant, and which repairs you are responsible for.  If you are a leaseholder, you are responsible for repairs and maintenance works to your property (please see page 12 of the repairs handbook). 

Report a repair

To report an urgent repair call

Telephone number: 0208 498 8000  or  0800 393994

If your repair is not urgent you can report it to


Aids and adaptations

If you feel an adaptation to your home may help you or someone in your household to live an independent life, please email or contact Adult Social Services on 020 8708 7333.

Work being undertaken inside residents’ homes will be suspended until further notice but we will not leave any resident without essential services.

All exterior major works will be paused. All sites will be closed and made safe.

Where works have been agreed, but not yet started, work will not start until further notice. Costs are not expected to increase.

Where works are underway, work will be suspended and made safe and secure until further notice. Costs are not expected to increase.

If you require further information about capital works delivery during normal working hours please email 

What are major works?

Major works include large-scale building /estate improvements like window renewal, controlled entry systems, new roofs and painting.

Major long term works

Long-term contracts are contracts we enter into for longer than 12 months and where any leaseholder’s contribution will be over £100 in any one year. The contracts can cover grounds maintenance, reactive repairs and servicing of equipment etc.

Consulting you on major works

Before the new contract is entered into, we consult with you, asking for comments. In some cases leaseholders and recognised Residents’ Associations are invited to nominate a contractor of their choice to carry out the works.

If leaseholders are to be charged over £250 they will receive details of the likely costs involved at an early stage of the consultation procedure. Any likely charges are also pointed out. These types of charge are usually included in the annual bill.

Major long term works programme

The major works and improvement programme will tell you when the major works are likely to be carried out in a particular area. It includes external works such as roofing repairs, external painting and communal areas, and internal works such as kitchens, bathrooms and electrical rewires.

If you are a leaseholder, you will be invoiced for major works in keeping with your lease.

Council tenants

We are required by law to carry out gas servicing and an annual gas safety inspection in your home. The servicing and gas safety check are carried out by our gas contractor, Mears.

Why we need to service your gas appliances

If you do not have your gas appliances serviced you may be exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning and your life is at risk. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas. While you cannot see or smell it, it kills over 30 people a year in their homes.

It is very important that you allow the engineer to enter your home to complete this service. Legal action will start if you don't allow access.

Arranging an appointment

Mears will write to you every year giving a date when the gas engineer plans to call to carry out the work.

If the date and time are not suitable, you should contact Mears on freephone 0800 39 39 94 as soon as possible to make a new appointment. All efforts will be made to visit you on a date and time that is suitable to you.

It is essential this work is carried out every year. All Mears officers will wear appropriate uniform and carry identification.

Gas servicing for leaseholders

Mears can service your gas appliances and carry out a gas safety check if you are a leaseholder. For details of the charges for these works, and to arrange an appointment, please contact Mears on freephone 0800 39 39 94. Tell them you are a leaseholder and provide a contact phone number.

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback