NHS health checks
The NHS Health Check is a health check-up for adults in England aged 40 to 74. It's designed to spot early signs of stroke, kidney disease, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or dementia.
As we get older, we have a higher risk of developing one of these conditions. Your free NHS Health Check helps find ways to lower this risk.
The NHS Health Check is for people who are aged 40 to 74 who do not have any of the following pre-existing conditions:
- Heart disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Atrial fibrillation
- Transient ischaemic attack (also known as a mini-stroke)
- Inherited high cholesterol (familial hypercholesterolemia)
- Heart failure
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Currently being prescribed statins to lower cholesterol
- Previous checks have found that you have a 20% or higher risk of getting cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years
How to have an NHS Health Check
If you are aged 40 to 74 without pre-existing conditions, you can call your GP to have an NHS Health Check.
Wanstead Pharmacy also conducts NHS Health Checks for patients registered with a Redbridge GP practice.
For more information please visit the NHS website
Find out how old your heart is
The Heart Age test gives you an idea of what your heart age is compared to your real age. You will also find out:
- The number of extra years you can give your heart age by making some healthy lifestyle changes
- The importance of blood pressure and cholesterol levels in estimating your heart age
- How to improve your heart age by eating better and moving more