What is Street Watch?
- Street Watch is led by members of the public who kindly volunteer their time and provide support for the Police and Redbridge Council through the prompt reporting of a crime, suspicious activity, anti-social behaviour and street-care issues to make the community safer.
- Street Watch is not owned or managed by the Police or Redbridge Council, so you will never be tasked directly.
- It is a non-confrontational role and as a volunteer you will engage with your local community explaining what Street Watch is and encouraging people to get to know their neighbours.
What can I do as a member?
- You would provide high visibility reassurance in neighbourhoods by patrolling the streets in pairs, and reporting any suspicious activity and street-care issues.
- Schedules are developed around your availability, and you also have the option to cycle whilst on patrol. A neighbourhood ward coordinator also provides contact at the beginning and end of every patrol.
How do I join Street Watch?
- If you would like the opportunity to become a Street Watch member you will be required to complete an Enhanced Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check, using our online form below.
See guidance and information on DBS checks and documents required on GOV.UK.
What happens after I apply?
- You will be invited to meet a member of staff via Skype, Microsoft or Zoom meeting, where your identification documents can be checked and verified.
- If you are unable to meet in this way, there will be an opportunity to meet in person on a date and time to be determined at:
Ley Street Depot
531 Ley Street
- Volunteers will be invited to attend a training event which will be hosted on Microsoft Teams and run by the Police Ward Safer Neighbourhood Teams.
- After training and with your DBS checks complete, you will be covered by Public Liability Insurance, issued with your Street Watch kit and you’ll be ready to start patrolling.
- If you require any further information about Street Watch Redbridge, contact: StreetWatchDBS@redbridge.gov.uk