Stray and lost animals
Stray animals (not including dogs)
If you see a stray animal other than a dog, for example a cat then you will need to contact the RSPCA
Report a stray dog
Any dog that is left on its own in a public space without a person in charge of it, is considered a stray. This includes dogs that have been let out to exercise themselves rather than being walked by the owner.
To report a stray dog, call 07815512833.
If the dog is dangerous or is a legally prohibited breed then you will need to contact the police on 101. If a dog attack is in progress always call 999.
The operating times for the Redbridge stray dog service are:
- Monday to Friday (including bank holidays) from 7am to10pm
- Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 8pm
Action we take
We collect all stray dogs found in a public place and those which have wandered onto private property within Redbridge. We do not collect other stray animals, but we may be able to help you find a lost pet.
- collect the stray dog and place it in safe and secure kennelling
- try to trace the owner through checking the animals collar or through contact information in the dogs microchip
- telephone the contact number registered on the appropriate database and reunite the owner with their pet
If we cannot find the owner, we'll keep the dogs in our kennels for 7 days and then try to find them new homes.
Fees to reclaim dogs
Owners must pay a fee and kennel charges to reclaim their dogs, which must be paid before the dog can be collected:
- collection fee £70
- kennelling fee £26 per day
You will need to have some identification with you when you collect your dog.
We keep the dog for 7 days, after which we become the owner and the dog becomes our responsibility and it will be destroyed or re-homed if it has not been claimed by the owner.
Report your dog as missing
To report your lost dog call 07815512833.
If they have no record of your dog please:
- contact surrounding local authorities and the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, who put their details on lost dog websites such as Dog Lost or Pet Log
- if your dog is micro-chipped contact the microchip company to make sure your details are up to date
- remember to remove the details from the website once your dog has been found