Apply for Discount or Exemption

If you are the person in your home that is responsible for paying council tax, you may be entitled to a discount, or reduction on the amount of Council Tax you pay or you may even be exempt from it and not have to pay any Council Tax. 


Apply for a discount or exemption 

You can apply for a discount or exemption if:

  • you are the only occupier aged over 18 in your property
  • you are a student
  • you are severely mentally impaired


Apply for discount or exemption


Or if you are:

  • a patient or resident in a hospital 
  • being looked after in a care home
  • someone with learning disabilities
  • staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • a 18 and 19 year old who are at, or have just left college
  • caring for someone with a disability (who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18)
  • a member of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • a member of a religious community
  • in prison


Complete a discount or exemption form 


Discounts for disabled people

If you or another adult living in the property have a disability, you may be eligible for a reduction to your Council Tax.

You’ll have to show that you’ve either:

  • an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
  • extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

Rooms for use by a disabled person

There must be a room in the property used by the disabled person either:

  • for treatment
  • for therapy
  • to store equipment

You cannot claim for having:

  • converted a downstairs room to a bedroom for a person who cannot climb stairs
  • converted bedsitting room for a person who cannot climb stairs
  • converted an upstairs room that was a bedroom to a bedsitting room for bedridden person
  • a room with extra facilities such as extra heating or a hearing loop
  • a commode for a person who finds it difficult to get to a lavatory
  • a shower room is treated as a bathroom
  • a second lavatory does not count as a bathroom

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. This can be an adult or a child - it doesn’t have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.

Apply for the discount

Call us on 020 8708 5670, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm or print the application form (PDF 116KB)

  • the first two pages of the application form should be completed by the applicant and the
  • third and fourth pages the declaration, by a professional person aware of the situation i.e. doctor, social worker, nurse