Chigwell Road tip: reuse and recycling
Chigwell Road tip is open for refuse disposal. We are now able to accept larger vehicles carrying household waste. All vehicles under 3,500kg maximum permissible mass and single axle trailers are allowed. If you are driving a van, please bring your vehicle's V5C logbook to prove it is below the weight threshold. Jenkins Lane tip is open for larger vehicles.
The tip is not open for commercial waste at the moment. Social distancing measures will be in place restricting the number of cars that can enter the site, so please expect delays.
We have a live view stream of approach road to the Chigwell Road Reuse and Recycling Centre. Please press play below. If you see vehicles queuing towards the camera, you may wish to delay your visit to another time or use one of the other Reuse and Recycling Centres.
During the Covid-19 period, please ensure you arrive at site before 4pm during the week, and 3pm at weekends as gates will be closing earlier.
- Monday to Friday: 7.30am to 4.30pm (gates will shut at 4.15pm) Gates may close at 4pm during the Covid-19 period.
- Weekends: 8am to 4pm (gates will shut at 3.45pm) Gates may close at 3pm during the Covid-19 period
Long queues are expected so please only visit if you absolutely have to. Please avoid normal commuting hours as the queue to enter the site may disrupt other road users.
Please avoid visiting near closing time as the tip may shut before you reach the front of the queue.
Proof of address
You will need to take a form of identification showing your current address, for example:
- Council Tax bill
- Drivers licence
There are some restrictions in place at the moment. We will update this page as restrictions change.
The following are not currently allowed at the site:
- Large vehicles over 3,500kg maximum permissible mass
- No Luton Vans, vans with tail lifts or tippers of any size
- Commercial waste is not allowed.
Listed are the items that are usually accepted but please only bring waste you can’t store safely at home and use our waste and recycling collection services where possible.
Please only bring items for disposal if you absolutely have to.
(items donated to local charities for refurbishment or resale at low cost)
- bikes find out more about bike recycling
- furniture in good condition
- printer cartridges (please remove packaging)
- shoes in good condition
- textiles in a good condition
- empty gas bottles
- aluminium foil
- batteries, including car batteries
- cans and tins
- paper and thinner card (like greetings cards/cereal boxes)
- cooking oil
- electrical goods - small and large
- fluorescent tubes
- light bulbs
- TVs and monitors
- garden waste
- glass bottles and jars
- hard plastic (i.e. garden chairs, plastic flower pots, buckets, storage boxes, toys)
- plastic bottles (no other plastic packaging, only that shaped as a bottle)
- scrap metal
- juice cartons and takeaway paper coffee cups ('Tetra Packs' used for juice, soup, sauces)
- used engine oil
- white goods (fridges, freezers, washing machines, cookers)
- ceramics (crockery, ceramic garden pots)
- wood and timber
Items or materials that have been generated from building, renovation or DIY work are 'restricted waste'
Restricted waste is limited to 1000kg per rolling year per household.
Number plate recognition cameras are in place to prevent businesses and tradespeople from using a service designed for residents. To use this service you must complete a restricted waste authorisation online form 2 working days before visiting the site. Our team will look at how much waste you have tipped this rolling year and provide authorisation based on your record. If you do not have authorisation to tip you will be refused entry to the site.
Restricted items include (not an exhaustive list):
- bathroom suites (baths, basins, toilets, tiles)
- kitchen cabinets
- pond materials
- windows and doors
- structural wood
- roofing materials
- hardcore, rubble and tiles
- soil and sand
- fence panels, sheds and structural wood (i.e. doorframes/skirting board)
Asbestos is hazardous waste and can be taken to Jenkins Lane RRC in Newham (IG11 0AD). It will need to be booked in before you visit by calling Renewi on 0800 389 9918.