Help with your water bill

If you are struggling to pay your Water bill, you may be eligible for additional support. 

WaterSure is regulated Central Government through OFWAT but each water provider runs their own scheme and customers must apply for this additional help. 

The WaterSure scheme is available for certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers don't cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill. 

To qualify for help under the WaterSure scheme, you or someone living with you needs to be entitled to one of the following:

  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only)
  • Pension Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

In addition, you need to either:

  • be responsible, and receive child benefit, for three or more children under the age of 19 living in the property, 


  • have (or someone living in the property must have) a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water. Examples of medical conditions include weeping skin diseases (such as psoriasis). Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. 

If you qualify for WaterSure, you will pay no more than the average household bill for your company, even if you use more than the average amount of water. 

If you think you are eligible for WaterSure, you will need to apply through your water company. In Redbridge, this is likely to be either Thames Water or Essex and Suffolk water.