Bereaved benefits and support

Support if you have been bereaved

If you have lost your husband, wife, civil partner or a close relation you lived with, cared for or were dependent on, there may benefits you are able to claim. 

Bereavement Support Allowance

You may be able to get Bereavement Support Allowance if your partner has died. It has replaced the following benefits:

  • Widowed Parents Allowance - if you already get this, your payments will continue until you're no longer eligible.
  • Bereavement Allowance (previously Widows Pension)
  • Bereavement Payment


Bereavement Support Allowance is not means tested. This means what you earn or how much you have in savings will not affect what you get. To find out if you qualify and how to claim please visit Bereavement Support payment

Survivors Benefits

Survivors Benefits - including War Widow(er)'s Pension - include one-off regular payments you may be able to get, whatever age you are, if your spouse or partner died as a result of service in HM Armed Forces. 

Find out more on the GOV.UK War Widow Pension page

Funeral Payment

If you are arranging a funeral and you are on a low income, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment.

Find out about Funeral Payments on the GOV.UK website