Disabled Freedom Pass enhancement scheme

Our Local Enhancement scheme provides a Freedom Pass to people whose disability is very close, but does not fully meet the eligibility criteria.


Application requirements

To be able to apply for the scheme, you must have a physical or mental health disability that is permanent, which has lasted 12 months or which is likely to last at least 12 months and has a substantial effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

This excludes temporary conditions such as a broken limb or an emotional reaction to a stressful life event. If there is any misuse of drugs or alcohol, the Local Enhancement scheme will not apply.


If you apply under category 7, which means you would be refused a driving licence due to a severe mental disorder, you must:

Have an eligible disorder

To apply you must have a severe mental health disorder and an associated disability that leads to a serious impairment of social functioning or place the applicant at risk of social isolation or social exclusion. People with emotional and behavioural-based conditions that do not respond to medication and whose symptoms do not preclude the driving of a motor vehicle are not eligible for a Freedom Pass.  Conditions such as anxiety, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorders, eating disorders or post-traumatic stress disorders will not usually qualify. 

You will need a confirmation which could come from various sources including a psychiatrist report or a Community Mental Health Team assessment. We will not pay or reimburse for medical reports.

Receive Disability Living Allowance or a Personal Independence Payment

To be eligible you must receive Disability Living Allowance at the rates of Lower Rate of Mobility and Middle Rate of Care. Otherwise, you will need to supply evidence of Personal Independence Payment at the standard rates for both Daily Living and Mobility. We will need proof of this award from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Have regular contact with a mental health professional

You must have regular contact with a mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist or key mental health worker, for example, a community psychiatric nurse (CPN) or be on a care programme approach.

Have frequent travel needs

You must have travel needs at least once a week as determined by a community mental health team worker, psychiatrist or community psychiatric nurse. These must be documented as a necessary therapeutic requirement, for example, to access treatment, or to participate in therapy or recreational or educational activities in order to improve their mental health. 


To apply

Passes are issued on a discretionary basis are subject to ongoing review and can be withdrawn at any time. If you qualify for other travel schemes we may refuse to issue a discretionary Freedom Pass or advise existing Pass holder to switch to the other travel schemes.

You will need to supply:

  • Full details of the disability and how it affects your day-to-day living 
  • Full supporting medical evidence as requested on the application form



Telephone: 0203 660 2483

Email: freedom.passes@redbridge.gov.uk

Address: London Borough of Redbridge Freedom Pass, PO Box 10786, Nottingham, NG6 6EG

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback