Apply for Housing Benefit

If you are working age you will need to apply for Universal Credit for help with your rent 

You should apply for Housing Benefit if:

You do not qualify for Housing Benefit if:
  • You are living in temporary accommodation by Redbridge Housing Department. This could be inside or outside of Redbridge. BUT if you have been placed in Redbridge by another Council, you will need to apply for Housing Benefit from that Council.
  • You have savings over £16,000 as a couple or a single person 
  • You are living in supported accommodation - includes a charge for care, supported and supervision that is more than  minimal and is provided by an English non-metropolitan council, a housing association, a not-for-profit voluntary organisation, or a registered charity 
  • You are a full-time student unless you are disabled or have children
  • You and your partner are of pension age
  • You are not the person who pays the rent
  • You are seeking asylum 
  • You are living in the UK under a sponsorship agreement 
  • You are a homeowner 

If you need to apply for Universal Credit and are the person responsible for paying council tax you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. 

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

When you get to the end of the form you will see a list of documents needed to support your claim. Please upload the documents or if you do not have them to hand please send them as soon as possible to housing

What proof do you need to see to to support my application?

You will be required to provide the following documentation to support your application:

Identity for you and your partner

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Current passport
  • Medical card
  • Driving license in photo card format
  • UK residence permit
  • EEC identity card
  • Letter from a government department

National Insurance number for you and your partner

  • National Insurance number card
  • P60 or payslips
  • Letter for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

The benefits team will contact you if they require any further documentation. 

Other evidence you may be required to submit

  • Capital, savings and investments for you and your partner
  • Earnings for you, your partner and any other non-dependants living with you
  • Self-employed earnings for you and your partner
  • Other income for you, your partner and other adults living with you 
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions for you, your partner and any other adults living with you
  • Childcare costs
  • Any other eligible expenses

How to prepare and supply proof of documents

Files must be in GIF, JPG, JPEG, PDF or PNG format and be a maximum of 20mb in size. 

You could:

  • take a steady, clear photograph of them with your smartphone or tablet
  • scan them using your home printer if it has scanning capabilities

You can either upload your proof in the online application form or email your documents to us at 

To find out more about the information we collect from you and how we use it, please review the privacy notice


Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback