Appeal a decision about your benefit

 If you don’t understand, or you disagree with the decision we have made about your benefit claim there are a number of things you can do:


Ask for a written statement about a Housing Benefit decision

If you ask for a written statement we will provide more detailed information about the decision. You have a further month from the date we reply to ask us to look at the decision again, or to appeal to a Tribunal.


Have your Housing Benefit reviewed

A review is where we look at the decision to see whether it can be changed. If you ask for a review and the decision is not changed in your favour, you have a further month from the date we reply to appeal against the decision.


Appeal against a Housing Benefit decision

If you appeal we will look at the decision again. If it is changed in your favour you will be told of the new decision. If we do not change our decision your appeal will be sent to the Tribunals Service.

How to provide us with information whilst social distancing 

You can send us evidence to support your Appeal whilst social distancing by providing information by email.

Where to write to

To ask for a written statement, to request a review, or to appeal you can email us at:

If you want to know more about a Housing Benefit decision, or you think the decision is wrong you should contact the:

Revenues, Benefits and Transactional Centre
Lynton House 
255 - 259 High Road
Ilford Essex

You can ask for more information (a written statement), you can ask us to review the decision, or you can appeal against the decision to an independent Tribunal. You, or someone authorised to act on your behalf, must do this in writing within 1 month of the date of your entitlement letter.

If you do not contact us within 1 month we may not be able to consider your dispute.


This section tells you what happens once your appeal is sent to the Tribunals Service.

Choosing an oral or paper hearing

The Tribunals Service will send you an enquiry form. You can choose to have an oral hearing or a paper hearing of your case. An oral hearing is when you go along in person to put your case before the Tribunal. A paper hearing is when a Tribunal will make a decision based only on the paper evidence.

Will I need a representative?

Tribunals are set up for people to represent themselves so you do not need to have a representative. Sometimes a local advice centre, such as Citizens Advice, will be able to help if you would prefer someone else to put your case for you.

What happens at an appeal?

The Tribunal consists of a legally qualified person. The appeal is organised by The Tribunals Service, which is separate from local councils and the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you choose an oral hearing, the Tribunal will usually want to ask you some questions about the issues

you have raised in your appeal. You will also be given the chance to put forward the arguments you have prepared.

What happens after the appeal?   

The Tribunal will notify you of the decision within 7 days. If you are not successful the Tribunals Service will provide you with information about how to challenge the decision further.

What if I want to appeal after 1 month of receiving my Housing Benefit letter?

A late appeal can only be accepted in special circumstances. If you appeal outside the 1 month time limit you must explain why the appeal is late. If we do not agree to extend the time limit your appeal will be sent to the Tribunals Service to decide if it can be accepted. The maximum time limit for making a late appeal is 13 months from the date of the decision letter.



Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback