Advice managing your money

The Council are committed to supporting our residents who experience money worries.

While we are doing all we can to help our residents, we recognise there may be other debts that you need help and advice with. If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is also free and independent debt advice available. The Government-sponsored MoneyHelper can help you find support.

Redbridge Food Bank

Redbridge Food Bank is part of a national network of foodbanks giving out nutritionally balanced emergency food to people in crisis.

Borrowing and saving money

Planning for the future, moving home, having a baby or retiring are some of the life changes that people experience. You can prepare for these by putting some savings aside. There are a range of services that can help with budgeting, saving and provide advice on bank accounts and credit.

Liberty Credit Union

Liberty Credit Union is a community-based savings and loans organisation, open to anyone who lives or works in the boroughs of Redbridge, Havering, or Barking and Dagenham. Liberty Credit Union can offer an easy access savings account and preferential rate loans with free life and loan insurance. 

DWP Budgeting Loans

A Budgeting Loan can help pay for things like household goods, clothing, rent in advance and repaying certain loans. To check if you are eligible visit the budgeting loans page on GOV.UK

Benefits and tax credits

Millions of pounds of means-tested benefits go unclaimed every year. If you are on a low income, you may qualify for help with benefits and tax credits. Make sure you are not missing out. 

Redbridge Council's benefits service

Our benefits service can tell you what council tax reduction and housing benefit you may be entitled to. 

Redbridge Council's Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau  has advice on a wide range of issues including, money, benefit, housing or employment problems. You will also be able to find guidance on how to complete many of the online forms and what is required when you send the forms off such as PIP, ESA amongst other forms.  

Turn 2 Us 

Turn 2 Us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. The online calculator on Turn 2 us website can help you check your entitlement.  

Government website: GOV.UK

The Government website: GOV.UK has lots of information, including benefit calculators, on a range of benefits and credits you may be entitled to.  

Short Term Benefit Advice

You may be able to get an advance on your first benefit payment if you’re in urgent financial need. This is called a short term benefit advance.

Check GOV.UK for more information about short term benefits

Financial Support for your child

Child maintenance is financial support towards your child’s everyday living costs when you’ve separated from the other parent.

Check GOV.UK for more information about child maintenance

Debt advice

If you find yourself getting into debt including rent or mortgage arrears, fuel debts, payday loans or credit and store card debts or other, it is important that you do not ignore your bills or debt letters. Instead you should seek advice as soon as possible to discuss your situation and take the appropriate actions

You can get free independent help and advice from any of the following national or local advice agencies:

  • National Debtline  –  call 0808 808 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm and Saturday, 9:30am to 1pm 
  • StepChange Debt Charity  –  call 0800 138 1111, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 8am to 4pm
  • Payplan – Money and debt advice, 0800 280 2816
  • Mary Ward Legal Centre – provides free independent advice to people who live and work in London to help them access their legal rights and entitlements; the main areas of law they help with are debt, housing and welfare benefits

Check for more debt advice if you are not a Council tenant.

Citizens Advice Bureau surgery

If you are a Council tenant we hold a surgery every Tuesday at the Orchard Housing Office from 10am to 4pm, appointments are free but booking is essential, please book by emailing:

Please note the surgery is only for Council tenants and leaseholders to discuss:

  • help with debt and other financial problems
  • rent arrears, court cases, eviction
  • service charge arrears
  • tenancy related issues   

If you make an appointment and can't attend, please tell us. There is a waiting list and we may be able to offer that appointment to someone else. We fund this service and we do not want any missed appointments.

Money management workshops

Money management workshops are run by Redbridge Citizens Advice Bureau at the Orchard Housing Office every 2 months. To book your place contact the Income Recovery team:

Orchard Housing Office,
152 Broadmead Road,
Woodford Green,

Improve your skills

Developing your skills and work experience can open doors for you. Find out about training and employment opportunities:

Other help you may be entitled to

Energy bills

You can get help and support with fuel –related problems including help for vulnerable customers, especially the elderly and those on key benefits.

For more information, visit Citizens Advice. 

Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people.