Subject Access Request - Proof of identity list

Proof of identity checklist for individuals making Subject Access Request

You cannot use one form of identification for both name and address.

For example, if you provide your driving licence as proof of your name you must provide another form of identification for your address, such as a utility bill.

 Proof of name

Proof of address

Current signed passport

Utility bill (gas, electric, satellite television, landline phone bill) issued within the last three months

Original birth certificate (UK birth certificate issued within 12 months of the date of birth in full form including those issued by UK authorities overseas such as Embassies High Commissions and HM Forces)

Local authority council tax bill for the current council tax year

EEA member state identity card (which can also be used as evidence of address if it carries this)

Current UK driving licence (but only if not used for the name evidence)

Current UK or EEA photocard driving licence

Bank, Building Society or Credit Union statement or passbook dated within the last three months

Full old-style driving licence

Original mortgage statement from a recognised lender issued for the last full year

Photographic registration cards for self-employed individuals in the construction industry -CIS4

Solicitors letter within the last three months confirming recent house purchase or land registry confirmation of address

Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency

Council or housing association rent card or tenancy agreement for the current year

Firearms or shotgun certificate

Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency (but not if used as proof of name)

Residence permit issued by the Home Office to EEA nationals on sight of own country passport

HMRC self-assessment letters or tax demand dated within the current financial year

National identity card bearing a photograph of the applicant

Electoral Register entry


NHS Medical card or letter of confirmation from GP’s practice of registration with the surgery

Documents we will not accept include, but are not limited to:

  • Provisional driving licence
  • Mobile phone bills
  • Credit card statements