Until December 2020 we are now in a transition period while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.
The current rules on trade, travel and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period. New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021.
As the fourth most ethnically diverse borough in the country, we will continue to welcome new residents from the EU and around the world as valued members of our community and commit to providing services to all residents. To remain in the UK you need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021
EU citizens living in the UK
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. You will need to verify your identity with an email address, phone number and current, valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen. Applications can be made by post, using the Android app or at an identity scanning point.
Successful applicants will be issued with either settled or pre-settled status.
- Settled status is granted to EU citizens who have been UK residents for at least five years.
- Pre-settled status is granted to EU citizens who have been UK residents for less than five years and applicants will need to apply for settled status after having resided in the UK for 5 years.
- You may be able to apply for an administrative review of the decision.
- You can apply again at any time until 30 June 2021.
There is no cost to apply for the scheme and help to apply is available from the government.
- Government's translated information materials
- EU Londoner’s Hub EU settlement scheme information in different languages
- Government Funded Organisations
- If you are in the UK and do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the application form, contact the Home Office's: Assisted Digital Service
- Official Settlement Resolution Centre
- 0300 123 7379 (inside the UK)
- +44 (0) 203 080 0010 (outside the UK)
- Employers can access an employer's toolkit on GOV.UK information on how to support EU citizens and their families to apply to the EU settlement scheme.
- Businesses can access guidance on changes to their industry and specific rules on GOV.UK’s online toolkit.
- Businesses can visit the London Growth Hub for a number of events being run.
- To find out more about the Settlement Scheme please visit GOV.UK
- For guidance on staying in the UK after Brexit please visit Citizen’s Advice
- Contact Citizens Advice Redbridge if you think you've been discriminated against since the referendum (e.g. unfairly refused work/housing)
- Sign up to email updates from the Home Office