Brexit toolkit

Redbridge's message for EU residents

We are proud that Redbridge is the fourth most ethnically diverse borough in the country. About 15% of Redbridge residents are EU nationals, all of whom make an enormous contribution to the borough.

We recognise that since the referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, there has been a great deal of uncertainty. We want to reassure all residents that you are valued members of the Redbridge community.

The Borough and the Council will continue to welcome new residents and citizens from within the EU and from around the world. We are committed to promoting community cohesion and to providing services to all residents of the Borough.

Here you can find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme. Remember that you can translate our page using the ‘Accessibility’ tool in the top right corner of the webpage. Please help us to spread this information to your families, colleagues and neighbours.


EU Settlement Scheme

EU citizens or family members of EU citizens will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK following Brexit.

The scheme opens on 30 March 2019 and applications can be made until 30 June 2021.

Settled status provides the holder with the same rights and access to healthcare, education and benefits as those who have acquired permanent residence. If you are unsure whether you will need to apply to the Settlement Scheme, check the Government’s website.

Successful applicants will be issued with either settled or pre-settled status. Settled status is for EU citizens that have been a resident of the UK for at least the last five years. Pre-settled status is for EU citizens that have been a resident in the UK for less than five years; they will be allowed to stay in the UK for a further five years and will need to apply again to get settled status to stay longer.

Should an application be unsuccessful, applicants can reapply as many times as they like before 30 June 2021. There will be no charge to apply for the scheme and the government has promised support for applicants on the phone and in person.

Find out more and apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.


Advice for businesses

The Government has created an employer's toolkit with advice and information to support EU citizens and their families to apply to the EU settlement scheme.

The Government has also created an online toolkit which provides guidance for businesses on what is changing in their industry, and specific rules and guidance.


Advice and guidance

  • Visit UK to learn more about EU citizens’ rights, including what settled status means, how to apply and more
  • The EU Londoner’s Hub for useful FAQs and leaflets on the Settlement Scheme in different languages
  • The Citizens Advice website also provides guidance on staying in the UK after Brexit. You can also contact Citizens Advice Redbridge if you think you've been discriminated against since the referendum (e.g. unfairly refused work/housing)
  • Sign up to email updates from the Home Office about developments on
  • the status of EU citizens in the UK after we leave the EU
  • the next steps for EU citizens in the UK

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback