The Annual Canvass 2020

Each year the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) has a legal requirement to conduct an annual canvass to ensure the electoral register is accurate and complete. The 2020 annual canvass has been reformed by the Cabinet Office. They have set new instructions for the ERO to follow and these instructions are set in law.

From 7 August, we will be sending a letter to every household, asking residents to check the information is correct, even if you have recently registered to vote, the house is empty of you have just moved. 

What you need to do

You need to let us know who should be registered to vote at your address. You can do this online, following the instructions in the letter you’ve received.

The quickest and easiest way to confirm your details or let us know about any changes is online. You'll need the security code that is printed on the letter. When logged in you should let us know whether the information is correct. If it isn't, you can update the information. 

If you don't complete the information promptly, we may also telephone you, send reminders, or carry out a personal visit, to make sure we can get a response. 

Using the online system

  • Go to the household update site
  • Enter your postcode and the unique security code printed on your letter 
  • Check that the information for your property is correct 
  • Confirm your details, or make any changes, and press 'Confirm'. 

Where will I find my security code? 

Your unique security code can be found in our email to you or will be printed on the letter sent through the post. 

Do I list everyone who lives at the property? 

You need to include the name and nationality of everyone aged 16 or over who is resident and eligible to register to vote. If there are no eligible residents, you should state why this is the case. 

How do I know who is eligible to vote? 

Find out who is eligible to vote. 


Registering to vote

Please note that the letters and canvass forms are not registration forms.  Anyone added to the details pre-printed on your letter or form will also need to register individually online.

My child is living away at university, should I register them here or at home? 

Your son or daughter can register at their home address as well as their university address, but must not vote more than once in the same election. This means they can vote in local elections at both addresses as long as they are in different local government areas, but cannot vote at both addresses in a Parliamentary election.


Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and to protect our officers we may not visit your property until it is safe to do so

Electoral Services contact

Address and contact details

Electoral Services
Ilford Town Hall,
128-142 High Road,


Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback