Types of planning application

The most common types of online planning application forms, guidance and validation check lists are on this page.

To make sure we can process your application, you will need to send us all the necessary documents to meet the 'validation criteria'. Check the what to submit webpage for more information. 

When submitting your application to us, you only need to send us one copy of the completed form and plans.


Householder planning permission, excluding works to flats (for flats please use the full planning permission form).

Download an application for householder planning permission for works/alterations and erection of extensions, garages, outbuildings, dormer windows, garden walls and new or altered access to a house or within the curtilage (the curtilage of a house or dwelling is the land immediately surrounding it) .


Dropped kerb

You may or may not need planning permission for a dropped kerb depending on the road you live in.

Check our dropped kerb information


A full planning application requires the submission of all details of the proposal in one go, usually so building work can start soon after approval is granted. A full application is the most common type of application and is appropriate when:

  • you want to change the use of land or buildings
  • creating new buildings or dwellings
  • you have more than 1 type of work to be considered under a single application (e.g. change of use and a new house)
  • carrying out work to flats
  • please do not use this form for householder planning permission



Conservation areas are those which have been designated by us as 'areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'. 

Consent is needed before the demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area.



Applications for outline planning permission look to establish whether the scale and nature of a proposed development would be acceptable to us.

Once outline permission has been granted, you then need to apply to have the details of the scheme approved (these are called "reserved matters" and are access, appearance, landscaping, layout and scale).


Download an application for outline planning permission for new buildings with some of the 5 reserved matters. This is suitable for large, complex proposals, not applications for extensions to existing buildings or householder developments. Check the help notes if you need more information


Reserved matters applications always 'follow up' on an outline application and include the outstanding matters not covered in the outline permission.

These details fall into 5 categories:

  • siting
  • design
  • external appearance
  • means of access
  • landscaping

Download an application for approval of reserved matters following the granting of outline planning permission.


Your proposal must be consistent with the outline permission. If your proposals have changed in any way, you may need to reapply at outline stage or make a full application.



You will need to apply for listed building consent (Grade I, II* or II listed building) if any of the following apply:

  • demolish a listed building
  • alter or extend a listed building that would affect its character

Carrying out unauthorised works to a listed building is a criminal offence, we strongly advise seeking professional advice before starting any work.


Application for planning permission and listed building consent for alterations, extension or demolition of a listed building.

Application for listed building consent for alterations, extension or demolition of a listed building


If you want to be certain the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a lawful development certificate. The application process will assess whether your proposal or existing use passes the permitted development limits and conditions without the need for planning permission.

There are 2 types of certificate - existing and proposed use or development.


An existing lawful development certificate will look to see whether:

  • building work or activities which have been carried out are lawful (e.g. change of use or extension)
  • whether activities or work is in breach of a planning condition.

A lawful development certificate (existing) is the quickest way to find out whether the use or activity is lawful or requires planning permission.


If you haven't yet started work and need to know for sure that permission is not required, you are advised to apply for a lawful development certificate (proposed).

A lawful development certificate (proposed) may be applied for by anyone wishing to find out if:

  • any proposed use of buildings or other land is lawful or requires permission
  • the operation(s) proposed are lawful (i.e. building works) or require permission

This is not the same as planning permission but is confirmation that your building work is lawful.

Lawful development certificates are helpful for when you sell your property as it confirms the work did not require.


In most circumstances planning permission is granted subject to conditions; these will be on your decision notice.

Sometimes it is necessary to submit details for us to approve in order to discharge the condition before you start work. Failure to meet with a condition could result in planning permission being void or in some cases we will consider the suitability of taking enforcement action.

Download an application for approval of condition(s) imposed on a permission:


Sometimes an application needs to be amended but it can only be considered as a non-material amendment to the original application so long as it does not significantly vary from the original application.

Download an application for non-material amendment following the grant of a planning permission:


An application can be made to vary the terms of a condition attached to a planning consent or to  remove it. We will consider why the condition was originally applied and whether there have been any changes in circumstances which may allow that condition to be removed or varied.


Some developments which are allowed under permitted development require you to notify us of the proposed works before they are carried out. This includes some works of demolition or some types of telecommunications development.

Download application giving prior notification of a proposed telecommunications development in respect of permitted development by telecommunications code system operators.

Download application giving prior notification of the proposed demolition of residential premises.

Other prior approval types include change of uses, these forms are available on the Planning Portal website


Download an application for works to top, lop or fell a tree or trees subject to a tree preservation order and/or notification of proposed works to any tree within a conservation area.


Homeowners wishing to take advantage of the permitted development rights and build extensions under the new powers must apply to us for prior approval.

Development must be completed by 30 May 2019 and the new limits do not apply within conservation areas, areas subject to Article 4 directions, outbuildings, flats or properties subject to restrictive planning conditions.

One of the conditions for this type of submission is that you are required to notify us in writing that you have finished your extension as soon as possible once you have completed. You can do this by submitting a completion notice to us:


Some changes of use are subject to a prior approval procedure dependent on what the proposed change  of use is.

The developer will be required to apply to us for permission relating to changes that could impact:

  1. transport, parking and highways of the development
  2. flooding risks on the site, and
  3. contaminated land risks on the site

Please refer to the Planning Portal application form page for help selecting the correct form


For a temporary period of up to 2 years a building and any land within its curtilage can be changed to a flexible use without requiring full planning permission.

The new flexible arrangements are conditional and are subject to the developer meeting the requirements of a formal notification process. If this does not occur the change of use will not be lawful.  It is not possible to retrospectively do this and a full application for planning permission will be necessary.

A written notification must include the following:

  • site address
  • existing use class of the building
  • proposed use class of the building
  • date the site will begin to be used as 1 of the flexible uses
  • a plan of the site identifying the building which the developer wishes to benefit from the new permitted development rights (the site plan should also identify the site in relation to its neighbours as well as a plan showing the floor space and any curtilage land involved)
  • a contact address and telephone number for the developer and an email address

You can notify us by emailing planning.enquiry@redbridge.gov.uk



Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback