Search and comment on planning applications

Search for a planning application

You can search for planning applications by reference number, location, dates and address.

Street name search

Please use quotation marks around the street name eg "10  High Road"   for an exact search match

search planning applications

Comment on planning applications

You can comment on a planning application within 21 days of it being publicised.

Comments can be sent in as:

  • emails
  • letters
  • petitions
  • we won’t accept telephone or anonymous comments

Comments must include:

  • date
  • your name and postal address
  • the planning application number
  • the site address
  • make it clear to us whether you are objecting, supporting or just commenting on an application

Why we publish comments

To make sure we are transparent in the consultation process we publish comments on the public register. Comments made to us about a planning application are available for others to view online by using the online planning search facility and will form part of the planning application documents available.

We will publish your name and address but we won’t publish telephone numbers, email addresses and signatures.

We will remove or choose to not publish defamatory, racist or obscene comments.


How to comment on a planning application


This is the easiest way to comment on a planning application. Find the planning application on our online planning search with the planning application number, street name or your location and click the “comment on this application" link.


You can email your views to us at  Please quote the application number and you will be sent an acknowledgement of your email.

By post

You can post your comments to us (this will mean your comments will take longer getting to us)

Send your comment to:

Development Management

Lynton House - 11th Floor Front,

255-259 High Road




Issues we can consider and what you can comment on

All comments we receive about a planning application will be considered, but only planning issues can be taken into account when making a decision:

  • our planning polices contained in the Local Development Framework (LDF)
  • central government planning policy statements (PPS's)
  • principle - if you feel the proposal is inappropriate and the use of land/property should not change
  • overlooking - the proposal would lead to previously private areas being overlooked
  • overshadowing - the height or proximity of the development would create unreasonable overshadowing
  • disturbance - there would be an unacceptable noise nuisance, general disturbance, odour, etc.
  • overbearing - the scale of the works means the property/premises has an oppressive impact on surrounding areas/houses
  • out-of-character - if the design and/or appearance of the development, its scale and use, appears to be out of character with its surroundings
  • highway safety - the development may lead to a significant impact upon road safety, parking, manoeuvring and visibility
  • historic conservation- impact on overall setting of listed buildings or conservation areas
  • wildlife - impact on local wildlife and protected trees


Matters that do not relate to planning and cannot be considered:

  • loss of view/aspect
  • civil covenants or agreements between land owners
  • personal matters relating to the specific applicant
  • boundary and land ownership disputes are not planning issues (for example, objections a development will encroach on someone else's land or breach a stipulation in the deeds of private properties)
  • whether work has begun
  • changes to land/property values
  • construction noise

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback