Help us to get the funding local people deserve. Sign our petition.

Make a planning application

We are currently unable to accept postal applications due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. We can only accept online or email ( applications.


Before making an application please check if you require planning permission.

You may also require Building Control approval. 

How to apply for planning permission

The fastest way to submit your application is online through the Planning Portal.

Apply online


What to submit with your application

Validation requirements

We need specific information from you to support your planning application. Without this, we cannot start working on your application. This includes an application form, plans and supporting reports in line with our Local Planning Application Requirements (LPAR) (PDF 834KB).

Our administration charge (detailed below) is also considered a validation requirement, when applied.

Please see our quick reference matrix (PDF 254KB) for assistance in identifying what your application will need to be valid.

HRA Interim Guidance - the Council, as competent authority for the 2017 Regulations, will carry out the screening and any appropriate assessment. Please see our Local Plan for further information.

Administration Charge

This charge was introduced to address the high number of applications that are invalid on receipt. This greatly adds to the administration time taken to deal with applications at the expense of local tax payers. This will help reduce avoidable demands on the service, reduce validation waiting times for our customers, and ensure the local taxpayers get greater value for their money.

Details of the scheme are as follows:

A fixed administration fee will be charged:

  • If an application is made invalid and the documents are not returned within the stated period (28 days)
  • If all documents requested are not submitted on return – if a second request has to be made
  • If an application is withdrawn after an invalid letter is despatched but before it is made valid

The current administration charge for each application type is as follows:

  • £200 – for major applications
  • £120 – for non-major commercial/new residential unit applications
  • £60 – for all other application types (e.g. householders, lawful development certificates etc.)

An exemption will apply to applications for a disabled person, and for prior approval applications.

Application fees

The cost of your planning application will depend on the type of application you are submitting and the type of work you want to do.

Please find out how much your planning application fees will be prior to submitting an application.

Application fast-track service

We currently offer a prior approval householder fast-track option - this guarantees you a decision notice in writing within a maximum of 5 working days of the conclusion of the 21 day consultation period.

The charge for this service is £75 per submission. You can pay this on submission (alongside the £96 application fee) or within 2 weeks of the date of your acknowledgement letter (which will be sent by email to the agent, or applicant if there is no agent). Further details are contained on this acknowledgement letter. If you pay after this period your payment will be refunded and your application processed under the statutory timescale.

This fast-track payment must be made using our automated phone line. No other payment methods are acceptable.

We intend to expand this fast-track service to householder applications (£150 per submission) and lawful development certificates (£75 per submission) - unfortunately the current COVID-19 situation has delayed the implementation of this new service.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

If your proposed work involves the creation of an additional dwelling (where someone will live) or you extend a building with additional floor space over 100 square metres, then you may be liable to pay the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL). To help us to assess this, please complete and submit the CIL information form (PDF 361KB) with your application.


Your responsibilities

The owner of the property (or land) is ultimately responsible for meeting the relevant planning rules and building regulations; this is still the case even if the work being done falls under permitted development. Failure to meet with the relevant legislation or rules will mean the owner will be responsible for correcting or amending any work, which could include demolition.

Always check and get the relevant permissions or confirmations; such as a lawful development certificate for planning, or by contacting Building Control before starting work.

Find out more about your responsibilities on the Planning Portal.


What happens after you have submitted your application

Receipt of a planning application

Once an application has been submitted and we have received the relevant validation information the application will be allocated to a case officer. The agent (or applicant is there is no agent) will receive a letter of acknowledgement from us with the case officer and decision expiry information. The application type will decide how the application is processed and the time frame in which a decision is issued; usually 8 weeks for minor developments and 13 weeks for major schemes.

Consulting on a planning application

When you submit a planning application it may be subject to a statutory 21 day consultation process, so that interested parties (such as neighbours or statutory consultees e.g. Thames Water) can review a planning application for any risks or impact on the surrounding area. We will publicise the application as a letter notification, a site notice, an advert in local papers, or a combination of these. All applications will be available to view in full online.

Assessing a planning application

Once the consultation period has ended, the case officer will review the application and if necessary visit the site. They will then use their site visit notes and photos to help make an assessment of the site characteristics and your proposals effect on the surrounding area. The officer will take into consideration planning legislation, the Council’s Local Plan policies, Government guidance, neighbour/interested party comments and any recent decisions or appeal decisions.


Making a decision

We make decisions about planning applications in 2 ways:

  1. Using powers delegated by Councillors - officers use powers delegated to them by Councillors, meaning they can make a decision, as long as the development falls within certain sizes or types. In these cases, the case officer will prepare a report on the application, with a recommendation on whether to approve or refuse it. A senior officer then considers and agrees the recommendation, if appropriate. The majority of applications are considered in this way.
  2. In Planning Committee meetings - if the decision on a planning application has to be made by Councillors a report is prepared and published in the meeting's agenda. The Planning Committee generally deals with applications of a strategic nature.

The report Councillors receive contains a recommendation on whether to approve or refuse the application and the reasons why. Councillors can accept the recommendation or decide to take a different decision if they have a good planning reason to do so.

If an application is scheduled to be considered by the Committee, the applicant/agent will receive a letter notification as will anyone who made a representation. The meeting is open to the public (including applicants, agents, supporters and objectors) and those with an interest in an application can apply to speak at the meeting. Details of how to do this will be provided in the letter.


Being notified of a decision

Once a decision is made, either by officers or Councillors, a formal decision notice confirming the decision will be sent to the agent (or applicant is there is no agent) only.

If the application is refused, the reasons will be given and the appeal process explained.

If the application is approved it may contain 'conditions' that you need to comply with. Conditions may need to be met before work begins on site, during construction works, or after the development is completed. Some conditions will also need to be 'discharged' (this will be detailed in the condition wording) - these will require a follow-up application to be submitted. For further information please see the 'discharge of condition' section below.

A copy of the decision notice will be published on the website. We will not send a copy of the decision notice to neighbours or interested parties.

Appealing a decision

Visit the 'appeal against a planning decision' webpage for information on appealing your application.


Types of planning applications

Householder planning permission is for householder works (extensions, loft conversions, outbuildings) that exceed the permitted development criteria. This is primarily for applications relating to single dwelling houses, however this type can be used for two or more dwelling houses undertaking a joint extension project.

For works to flats or a non-residential site please apply under full planning permission.

Help notes for householder applications (PDF 200KB)

Full planning permission is for a variety of proposals – primarily works to flats and non-residential sites, as well as the creation of new residential units and changes of use.

Help notes for full planning permission applications (PDF 250KB)

You can apply for a certificate for confirmation your works do not require planning permission and come under permitted development.

There are 2 types of certificate:


  • if you haven't yet started work, or have started but the works are not substantially complete, and seek confirmation that building works or a change of use do not require planning permission


  • to confirm the lawful use of a site
  • to confirm building works or a change of use which have been carried out are lawful
  • whether activities or work is in breach of a planning condition

Help notes for lawful development certificates (PDF 100KB)

In most circumstances planning permission is granted subject to conditions; these will be detailed in full on your decision notice.

Sometimes it is necessary to submit details for us to approve in order to discharge the condition at a point during the development, such as before works begin. Whether this is required will be explained in each condition on the decision notice.

Failure to meet with a condition could result in planning permission being void and in some cases we will consider the suitability of taking enforcement action.

Help notes for discharge of conditions application (PDF 45KB)

Sometimes an approved application needs to be amended. It can only be considered as a non-material amendment to the original application so long as it does not significantly vary from the original application.

Help note for non-material amendment applications (PDF 65KB)

This application can be made to vary the terms of a condition attached to a planning consent, or to remove the condition entirely. We will consider why the condition was originally applied and whether there have been any changes in circumstances which may allow that condition to be varied or removed.

Help notes for section 73 application (PDF 60KB)

Applications for outline planning permission look to establish whether the scale and nature of a proposed development would be acceptable to us.

Once outline permission has been granted you will then need to apply to have the details of the scheme approved (these are called "reserved matters" and are access, appearance, landscaping, layout and scale).

Help notes for outline planning permission application (PDF 100KB)

Reserved matters applications always 'follow up' on an outline application and include the outstanding matters not covered in the outline permission.

These details fall into 5 categories:

  • siting
  • design
  • external appearance
  • means of access
  • landscaping

Help notes for reserved matters applications (PDF 70KB)

You will need to apply for listed building consent if you are undertaking works to a listed building (Grade I, II or II*).

Carrying out unauthorised works to a listed building is a criminal offence - we strongly advise seeking professional advice before starting any work.

You will need to apply using a combined full planning and listed building consent form if you are making external changes to the listed building. Internal changes require a listed building consent form only.

Help notes for listed building consent applications (PDF 220KB)

This application is required to display advertisements in line with advertisement regulations.

Please apply using a combined full planning and advertisement consent form if you are also constructing what the advertisement will be mounted on.

Help notes for advertisement consent applications (PDF 255KB)

This application is for a larger home single storey rear extension under prior approval. You cannot apply for any other works under this application type.

We currently offer a fast-track application process for this application type - please see above under "application fees".

You cannot apply for this application if your site is within a conservation area; is subject to an Article 4 direction; if the site is flats; or is subject to restrictive planning conditions. You can find further information on larger household extensions on the Planning Portal.

One of the conditions for this type of submission is that you are required to notify us in writing that you have finished your extension as soon as possible once you have completed works. You can do this by submitting a Completion Notice (PDF 63KB) to

Some changes of use can be carried out under prior approval. If your change of use does not fall under the prior approval criteria, such as the site is too big, you will need to apply under full planning permission.

Protected trees (subject to a TPO or in a conservation area) require permission to be trimmed, cut or felled.

It is a criminal offence to undertake works to a protected tree without permission from the local authority.

Help notes for tree applications (PDF 185KB)

For a temporary period of up to 3 years a building and any land within its curtilage can be changed to a flexible use without requiring full planning permission. Please view the change of use section on the Planning Portal for further information.

The new flexible arrangements are conditional and are subject to the developer meeting the requirements of a formal notification process. If this does not occur the change of use will not be lawful. It is not possible to retrospectively do this - a full application for planning permission would be necessary.

A written notification must include the following:

  • site address
  • existing use class of the building
  • proposed use class of the building
  • date the site will begin to be used as one of the flexible uses
  • a plan of the site identifying the building which the developer wishes to benefit from the permitted development rights (the site plan should also identify the site in relation to its neighbours as well as a plan showing the floor space and any curtilage land involved)
  • a contact address, telephone number and email address for the developer

You can notify us by emailing


If you do not want to submit online through the Planning Portal you can submit your application by email to

You can download pdf application forms on the Planning Portal.



Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback