Transfers and exchanges for social housing tenants

If you want to move and you are a tenant of Redbridge Council or a Housing Association, you could ask for:

  • a transfer - using the under occupation scheme or homefinder
  • a mutual exchange - under the house exchange,  homeswap or housing moves schemes

Who can ask for a transfer?

You have the right to ask for a transfer to another property if your circumstances have changed. All transfer applications will be considered. If you are successful you will be able to bid for a different property using Choice Based Lettings.

As the demand for housing is higher than the number of properties we have available you may have a considerable wait.  Once you are allocated a property, the date you move will depend on when the property is ready. If you wish to apply for a transfer contact the Housing Advice Centre.

Under occupation scheme

The under occupation scheme helps to increase the availability of family-sized accommodation in Redbridge. If you are a Redbridge Council or a Housing Association tenant living in a property that is too large for you, you could move to a smaller property.

  • we will give £250 for every bedroom that you give up
  • a personal rehousing service from a specialist Housing Options Officer
  • reimbursement of your removal costs
  • arrangement and payment of disconnection and reconnection of white goods (cooker, washing machine etc.)
  • arrangement and payment of disconnection and reconnection of telephone


Homefinder UK is a scheme that helps tenants and households that we have placed in in temporary accommodation and those we have accepted a homelessness duty to.

We have joined the scheme in order to give our tenants greater choice and more opportunity to find homes the right size, in the right location and at the right rent.

  • Homefinder offers properties across the UK and are working to make as many properties available as possible; view the properties on Homefinder 
  • if you wish to move to a particular area but cannot see any properties that meet your requirements you can contact Homefinder
  • if you register on the Homefinder website, you will also be able to see all of their mutual exchange opportunities through the House Exchange service; House Exchange are working in partnership with Homefinder and our tenants can register on this scheme free of charge

House Exchange

If you are a Redbridge Council or a Housing Association Tenant and you would like to move to another part of London or the UK, there are a number of options available to you.

If you are renting one of our properties or a Housing Association property and you can swap it for another Council or Housing Association property (also known as a mutual exchange) but both landlords must consent to the exchange. House Exchange is the only mutual exchange site that enables 3 way exchanges and immediate matching, so that increases the number of chances you will have to move register for House Exchange

Rules for applying for an exchange:

  • you must not benefit by more than 1 bedroom
  • both you and the person you swap with have to accept the condition of the property as you find it
  • you swap your tenancy as well as your property; it is important to check the type of tenancy if you are changing landlords
  • you and your exchange partner can agree a date when you exchange once you have permission to exchange
  • housing swaps are different to house exchanges; view information on our housing swapping page

Housing Moves

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London's housing mobility scheme that allows tenants of London boroughs or Housing Associations to move outside their existing borough to a different part of London. It is run by the Greater London Authority and the majority of London boroughs and Housing Associations are participating.

Priority is given to:

  • under occupiers (if you are a secure tenant and live in a property that is too large for you)
  • need to move to be a carer for someone
  • need to move to be closer to your workplace
  • for more information please visit the Housing Moves website

Seaside and Country Homes

Seaside & Country Homes offers people who are aged 60 and over and living in Council or Housing Association housing in Greater London, the opportunity to move to seaside and countryside locations. We can also help households to find properties in rural areas inland.

To find out more and to apply visit the Seaside and Country Homes website.

Redbridge Freespace 

Redbridge Freespace scheme is an option aimed at home owners aged 60 and older who wish to move to smaller accommodation.

In exchange for letting your home to us we offer:

  • a free personalised assessment to ensure the scheme meets your needs
  • a dedicated officer to provide assistance to help you find alternative accommodation
  • support with the logistics of moving
  • worry free letting using our expertise to manage your property.
  • to discuss any of the schemes contact the Under Occupation team

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback