Rebate fraudsters targeting residents warning

What you should be aware of

Fraudsters may be posing as Redbridge council officials or professionals and cold-calling customers stating that they are eligible for a Council Tax rebate. There has also been reports of people receiving Text Messages telling them they are due a refund and to click on the link supplied, under no circumstances should you do so.  There has been a sharp increase nationally in the number of reports relating to fake council tax refunds, including some in Redbridge in recent weeks.

The caller tells potential victims that they are due a substantial council tax rebate, usually because their council tax band is too high. The fraudsters will tell you that they can get you a refund but ask for a fee payment in advance to claim it back and ask for bank details. 

What you can do to protect yourself

  • never respond to unsolicited phone calls
  • the Council will never phone out-of-the-blue to discuss a council tax rebate. if you receive a call of this nature, put the phone down straight away
  • no legitimate organisation will ask you to pay an advanced fee in order to receive money, so never give them your card details
  • if you think you have been a victim of fraud, hang up the phone and wait five minutes to clear the line as fraudsters sometimes keep the line open. Then call your bank or card issuer to report the fraud. Where it is possible use a different phone line to make the phone call. if you believe that you have been a victim of fraud you can report it on line at the  Action Fraud Website

Find out more information 

Find out more information on bogus callers and other scams

Residents can check their council tax accounts online, including information about payments, their current balance and setting up direct debits, as well as eligibility for discounts and exemptions.  If you are 18 or over, and own or rent a property in Redbridge you can register for Council Tax. 

Register for Council Tax 

If for any reason you think your council tax band is incorrect, you can check with the Local Valuation Office free of charge.