School places for key workers

You can request a school place for your children at one of the school hubs if:

  • your child attends school in the borough of Redbridge
  • your employer has confirmed you are a key worker in accordance with the government's critical response list of roles
  • you require a place for your children at your child's school or a school hub

If you have any questions about eligibility, please read our FAQs on the FiND site. For any questions that are not answered in the FAQs, please email the Admissions Team.


Key worker categories

These are the key worker categories and roles as defined by the government.

Health and social care staff

This includes doctors, nurses, midwives, paramedics, social workers, frontline health and social care staff, producers and distributors of medicines and medical and personal protective equipment.

Education and childcare staff

This includes nursery and teaching staff, social workers, specialist education professionals.

Key public services staff

Those essential to the running of the justice system, religious staff, charities and workers delivering frontline services, those responsible for the management of the deceased and journalists and broadcasters who are providing public service broadcasting.

Local and national government staff

This only includes those administrative occupations essential to the effective delivery of the COVID-19 response or delivering essential public services such as the payment of benefits.

Food and other necessary goods workers

Those involved in food production, processing, distribution, sale and delivery as well as those essential to the provision of other key goods such as hygienic and veterinary medicines.

Public safety and national security staff

This includes police and support staff, Ministry of Defence civilians, contractor and armed forces personnel (those critical to the delivery of key defence and national security outputs and essential to the response to the COVID-19 pandemic), fire and rescue service employees (including support staff), National Crime Agency staff, those maintaining border security, prison and probation staff and other national security roles, including those overseas.

Transport staff 

This includes those who will keep the air, water, road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the COVID-19 response, including those working on transport systems through which supply chains pass.

Utilities, communication and financial services staff 

This includes staff needed for essential financial services provision (including but not limited to workers in banks, building societies and financial market infrastructure), the oil, gas, electricity and water sectors (including sewerage), information technology and data infrastructure sector and primary industry supplies to continue during the COVID-19 response, as well as key staff working in the civil nuclear, chemicals, telecommunications (including but not limited to network operations, field engineering, call centre staff, IT and data infrastructure, 999 and 111 critical services), postal services and delivery, payments providers and waste disposal sectors.


Request a school place

Any information you submit will be processed in line with data protection laws. For more information, please read our privacy policy.

Request a key worker school place

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback