Covid 19 Business Rates grant application

Coronavirus: business support available

Find business support, advice and grants information on our coronavirus business support hub.


What to do if you disagree with your business rate bill.

Rateable value appeals

The valuation officer may alter the value if they believe the circumstances of the property have changed. The ratepayer (and certain others who have an interest in the property) may also, in certain circumstances, propose a change in value. If in any case the ratepayer and the valuation officer do not agree, the matter will be referred as an appeal to a valuation tribunal.

The effect of successful proposals or appeals against new rateable values for 1 April 2010 will be backdated to 1 April 2010 only if they were made by 30 September 2010. Appeals made in the following 6 months will be backdated to no earlier than 1 October 2010. Appeals made in a subsequent financial year will be backdated to no earlier than the start of that year.

Information about the circumstances in which a change in rateable value may be proposed and how such a proposal may be made is available from the valuation office.


Rating advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill.

Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV)are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback