Report a change of circumstances

You should report any change in your circumstances straight away, and within at least 1 month of any change. If you do not report a change you may lose your benefit. A change that reduces your amount of benefit may lead to an over payment, which we will ask you to pay back.

You must tell us immediately if:

  • your Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment Support Allowance entitlement ends
  • you start work
  • you move home (as you will need to make a new claim benefit at your new address)
  • you or anyone in your household leaves or comes to live with you
  • you or anyone in your household has a change in their income
  • the amount of rent you pay changes
  • any of your children leave school
  • your savings or investments change by more than £250 or £500 if you are of state pension age. Unless the total stays below £6,000 or £10,000 if you are of state pension age
  • you become a student
  • anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a Youth Training, Employment Training or Employment Action course or starts/leaves a job
  • you are going away; you must tell us how long you will be away for before you go
  • you, your partner or other people who live with you are in hospital for more than 6 weeks
  • you leave your home on a temporary basis
  • there are any other changes that may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction

You may need to:

You can do this by using the tools below:

  • tell us about a change in your circumstances including a change of address


Report your change and upload your documents

  • register to get your notification letters online because once a change of
    circumstance has been assessed you will receive a letter advising you of your new entitlement and any over or underpayments that have resulted as part of your declaration. 
Register and view your letters on-line




Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback