Report a change of circumstances
You should report any change in your circumstances straight away, and within at least 1 month of any change. If you do not report a change you may lose benefit. A change that reduces your amount of benefit may lead to an over payment, which we will ask you to pay back.
Changes to tell us about
You must tell us immediately if:
- your Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment Support Allowance entitlement ends
- you start work
- you move home (as you will need to make a new claim benefit at your new address)
- you or anyone in your household leaves or comes to live with you
- you or anyone in your household has a change in their income
- the amount of rent you pay changes
- any of your children leave school
- your savings or investments change by more than £250 or £500 if you are of state pension age. Unless the total stays below £6,000 or £10,000 if you are of state pension age
- you become a student
- anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a Youth Training, Employment Training or Employment Action course or starts/leaves a job
- you are going away; you must tell us how long you will be away for before you go
- you, your partner or other people who live with you are in hospital for more than 6 weeks
- you leave your home on a temporary basis
- there are any other changes that may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
You still have to tell us about any changes, even if you have already told someone else, such as The Department for Work and Pensions or another Council department.
If you do not inform us of any change in your circumstances and we find out later then you may be subject to a benefit fraud investigation. If you tell us late, this may result in you being overpaid and us claiming the money back from you. You may also be at risk of losing your benefits altogether if you don't tell us in time.
You may lose out on any additional benefit you are entitled to if you do not report the change within 1 month of it occurring.
How to tell us about a change
If you are not sure what changes need to be reported, please phone us on 020 8708 5690.
For a change of address you should complete 1 of these forms:
Change of address form for Private and Housing Association Tenants (PDF 126KB)
This form should be completed if you are moving within the Borough, a private tenant or Housing Association Tenant and you are already in receipt of Housing Benefit.
This form should be completed if you are moving within the Borough, you are a Council Tenant or claiming Council Tax Reduction only and you are already in receipt of Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction.
If it is for any other reason then you need to write to us and tell us:
- you name and address
- benefit reference number
- a description of the change in circumstances
- date on which the change happened/happens
please sign the letter and send it to:
Revenues, Benefits and Transactional Centre
255- 259 High Road
Once a change of circumstance has been assessed you will receive a letter advising you of your new entitlement and any over or underpayments that have resulted as part of your declaration.