Disabled persons Freedom Pass guidance notes

In order to apply for a Disabled persons Freedom Pass, your sole or principal residence must be in Redbridge, you must meet at least 1 of the eligibility criteria and your disability must:

  • be permanent or have lasted at least 12 months or is likely to last at least 12 months
  • have a substantial effect on your ability to carry our normal day-to-day activities


Passes for over 60s

You must not already be at an age where you qualify for the Older Persons Freedom Pass. You can check your eligibility on the Freedom Pass website

If you are aged 60 or over, are not yet eligible for the Older Persons Freedom Pass, and do not meet any of the automatic criteria, you can apply for the London 60+ Oyster Card

We do not offer Freedom Passes to carers or travel companions or based on financial hardship.


Discretionary Freedom Passes

If you have a disability that does not meet the automatic criteria, we may be able to offer you a pass on a discretionary basis through the Redbridge Local Enhancement scheme.


Processing your application

We aim to deal with your application in 10 working days following receipt of your form. Please only contact us if you haven't heard from us after this time. We do not pay for supporting evidence you provide with your application form. 


What happens after you apply

We will write to you to let you know whether your application has been successful or not. You have the right to as us to review our refusal decision. 


Category information and proof required

The 7 categories of disability include any person who:


This refers to someone whose sight is so impaired, they could be registered as blind or partially sighted. Registration is voluntary, so if you are not registered, we need evidence to show you could be registered.

Proof required

A 8D8 Certificate or a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) is proof that you could be registered and is given to you by your consultant ophthalmologist. We will need a copy of this document.

Loss of sight in one eye does not always mean a person can be registered partially sighted.

We do not accept letters from GPs or dispensing opticians regarding loss of sight.


This refers to someone who has a severe hearing loss if the average hearing loss reaches 70-95 dBHL and a profound hearing loss if the average hearing loss reaches 95+ dBHL.

This hearing loss must apply to both ears. Someone registered as 'Hard of hearing' will not qualify.

Proof required

Registration is voluntary, so if you are not registered, we need evidence to show that you could be registered. You will need to provide a copy of your Audiogram or Audiology Report for us to assess.

We do not accept letters from GPs regarding hearing loss.


This refers to someone who is unable to communicate orally in any language. This means someone who cannot make a clear, basic oral request and/or ask questions to clarify instructions. This does not include people who are able to speak but whose speech may be slow or difficult to understand. This does not apply to someone whose speech is limited because English is not their first language, or if they have a stammer.

Proof required

If you are not registered as 'Deaf without speech', you will need to provide a copy of your award of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of 8 points or more for "Communicating verbally" or a report from your GP or speech therapist for us to assess.


This refers to someone who is "unable to walk, virtually unable to walk, or the exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to their life".

Proof required

The award of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the Higher Rate of Mobility (HRM) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of 8 points or more for "Moving Around"* or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (WPMS) is evidence for this category. This does not include points for 'Daily Living' or 'Planning and following journeys'.

You will need to provide a complete copy of either of these benefit documents from the Department for Work and Pensions. Otherwise, you need to provide detailed, recent (dated within 3 months) medical evidence from your GP or Consultant.

We do not accept hospital appointment letters, discharge summaries, or sick certificates.


This refers to those without both arms, those with a deformity of both arms, or those who have both arms but are unable to use them to carry out day-to-day tasks.

Proof needed

You will need to provide a detailed, recent (dated within 3 months), medical report from your GP or Consultant for us to assess.


This refers to someone who has a has a learning disability, that is, a state of "arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning". This means that the person would have significantly reduced ability to understand new or complex information, and to learn new skills (significantly impaired intelligence) and a significant reduced ability to cope independently (significantly impaired social functioning). The disability must have started before adulthood, and have a lasting effect on development.

A learning difficulty is not the same as a learning disability. Some examples of what are not considered to be a learning disability are: ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, other "specific learning difficulties" as defined by education, brain damage sustained after the age of 18, Asperger's Syndrome, and Global Development Delay or Autistic Spectrum Disorder without an associated learning disability.

Proof required

If you are not registered, you will need to provide a copy of your Statement of Educational Needs (SEN), and/or a letter from the Redbridge Learning Disabilities Team or a letter from the Children with Disabilities Team or from a qualified psychologist for us to assess.


This refers to someone who has a disability or condition that would prevent them from being  legally  considered  medically  fit  to  drive,  as  outlined  by  the  DVLA  Medical  Standards  of  Fitness to Drive. This must be on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

The conditions include:


A person with epilepsy can be granted a driving licence if the following criteria are met:

  • They have not had an epileptic attack whilst awake for a year or more
  • They have had an attack whilst asleep over 3 years before with no attacks whilst awake in between, even though attacks whilst asleep may continue to occur
Severe Mental Disorder

Being diagnosed with a mental disorder does not automatically prevent someone from holding a driving licence in accordance with the DVLA Medical Standards of Fitness to Drive. A Freedom Pass can only be awarded in this category if the person would be refused a driving licence because of their mental health condition, and other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

If you have not recently had your licence refused or revoked by the DVLA, we will accept a  written  report  from your psychiatrist, community psychiatric nurse, or similar mental health worker for us to assess.

Liable to sudden attacks of giddiness or fainting

This may include cardiac disorder or neurological.

Inability to read a registration plate in good light at 20.5 metres

This is with corrective lenses if worn.

Other conditions

Including conditions which are likely to  cause the driving of vehicles a source of  danger to the public.


See more information about driving medical conditions on GOV.UK.

Note that feedback relates only to this page and it's content. You can also feedback about the entire site.

For complaints or compliments, please go to Complaints or Compliments

Rate this page:

Thanks for your feedback